Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longines Avigation Big Eye

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    (from what decade?) - Matt
    Article says a 1971 model, but sad they're replicating models from a time when they no longer used inhouse movements, but out sourced ones.

Nice watch

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Article says a 1971 model
    Indeed, some of them do - others say "1930's", but 70's seems more likely.

- Matt

Quick check on the 1971 date listed brings up a something close model, but thats all I can find

Longines Nonius ref. 8225

Of the various models in this collection. This is the only design with a larger sub chapter although technically it's only larger due to the outside chapter ring and not the inset one as on the new model

DON

Apparently Longines based the design on a watch they have in their museum. This was posted on instagram courtesy of 'watchesandart':

https://instagram.com/p/BZIuY98FkHn/

Quote Originally Posted by Eurocontroller View Post
    Apparently Longines based the design on a watch they have in their museum. This was posted on instagram courtesy of 'watchesandart':

https://instagram.com/p/BZIuY98FkHn/
    Extremely faithful recreation then!

this image belongs to watchesandart

I know very little about Longines watches but is this watch really from 1971 with no winged hourglass on the dial and only marked SWISS MADE with no reference to tritium? I would have thought that you could easily knock thirty years off that date..

Podcast about the Longines here (starts at 45:06).

http://wornandwound.com/worn-wound-p...ograph-lovers/

Thx Dave! I don't anything about Longines either, just thought I'd share the link. No idea where he got it from.

I agree Dave, it doesn't specifically scream "1971" to me. if they'd said 1961 or even 1951 I'd easily have believed that too.

No T for tritium in evidence... does that tell us anything about the date?

- Matt

The lugs say 1950s to me. And the spade-end seconds hand certainly suggests pre-1960's to me.

They didn't acquire this museum piece from Eastern Europe, did they?

yes, the Ukraine had entered my thoughts also!

with no tritium mark on the dial I think that the dial should predate circa 1959 - 1961.

what about the serifs etc on the Longines name anyone?

I don't know anything about historical Longines, or the T SWISS T detail, but I will say that Helmut Sinn was making some watches very similar to this one throughout the decade of the 1970s. I'm inclined to trust Longines on the dating of the original piece that's inspiring the re-issue.

I really like this re-issue and hope I'm able to find one.

Myron

I agree this looks much more like a 1940s-1950s chronograph, although I didn't listen to the Wornand wound podcast Hentaiboy posted.
    The "Longines" signature with no logo is typical 1940s.
    The hour glass appeared on the official registered Longines logo in 1942 but many dials were used sans-logo even after that date.

The Longines web site says it's based on a watch with a typical 1930s aesthetic recalling a golden era of aviation.
    And that it's based on one of their recent acquisition.

I know the Longines museum does not purchase anything without having checked it thoroughly in their various archives, no offense intended to those Ukrainian frankenizers. And those fantastic Longines historians you contact for info on your watches have been passing on to design departments the feedback they get from vintage collectors: "NO DATE" "NO DATE" "NO DATE".

Best regards,
    S
    Last edited by Syrte; 09-19-2017 at 10:15.

This article on ABlogToWatch also says:

...the Longines Museumís recent acquisition of a pilotís watch they produced in the 1930s provided the impetus for the new model...
    Since these sites typically just regurgitate the manufacturer's handy provided talking points for new watch introductions, it seems that we could reasonably conclude that Longines must be saying "1930's" behind the scenes.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/longines...-bigeye-watch/

- Matt

fwiw...the big-eye image of "the original" from the museum looks to me like a photoshop job.

the hands have tons of wabi-sabi, but the dial itself has basically none. and the shading on the crystal and ends of the strap between the lugs and the lugs themselves looks just too perfect. almost sterile. not in sync with hour/minute hands that have such "character".

further, this is the only image extant on the interwebs that purports to be the "orignal" longines big-eye. there is not another example of one "in the wild" that i've been able to spot despite searching many-many times.

call me a cynic...but i think the inspiration for the big-eye tribute came from one of the other brands that offered this style, not longines.

that said, i think the watch is quite handsome...one i'm seriously considering!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

this image belongs to watchesandart
    walter
    motown, michigan
    usa

The hands do show more corrosion compared with the dial however I've seen this phenomenon on enough vintage Tudor & Rolex sports watches to believe it.. It's a nice looking watch and the modern version compares handsomely with the original..

I wonder what movement is in the original watch.

As far as I am aware Longines didn't make a in-house triple register chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post
    I wonder what movement is in the original watch.

As far as I am aware Longines didn't make a in-house triple register chronograph.
    V 72