Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longines Avigation Big Eye

Default Longines Avigation Big Eye

This one slipped under the radar. Nice vintage vibe and NO DATE

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/08/30/lo...ation-big-eye/

Wow, I'll say. That's a beauty.

It's not on Longines' US e-shop yet so I wonder if it's not been officially released yet. Looks like 41 mm with 20 mm lugs, solid caseback, 2500 Euro. Very tastefully done indeed.

Thanks for posting.

Myron

Longines' own website describes it as a 'novelty'. LOL.

https://www.longines.com/novelties/t...gation-big-eye

Wow, what a lovely thing.

I saw some other specifications on a French website: 14.5 mm thick, 30 m WR, 54 hour power reserve. Who knows if that's accurate. The movement is reported to be a semi-in-house column wheel, which is amazing at that price point.

I admit I'm totally smitten... which is bad news for me, because I'm on a self-imposed watch-buying moratorium. We'll see if that holds up, now I've seen this.

- Matt

These companies always follow the PP mystic model. .....We won't show you the movement because you wouldn't understand it if we did and you can rest assured that it's fabulous like everything we do. When everyone wants to see the movement. Could be a Chinese semi-in-house column wheel movement with 54 hr reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    These companies always follow the PP mystic model. .....We won't show you the movement because you wouldn't understand it if we did and you can rest assured that it's fabulous like everything we do. When everyone wants to see the movement. Could be a Chinese semi-in-house column wheel movement with 54 hr reserve.
    http://raulhorology.com/2013/03/the-...alibre-l688-2/

Damn..... I'm in trouble too with my resolve to not buy another watch this year. No date, nice size and vintage inspired design. ....A beaut.

Hmm, hadn't seen this one anywhere prior to this. Looks pretty good right there. I'd like to see more pics and coverage to get a better idea about it.

Now that is a tasteful watch. Only thing I think I would prefer would be stick hands for all of the sub-dials. Other than that, it's a beaut.

If there's one thing I hate, it's seeing chewed off nails.
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

I have the opposite problem, every so often my wife grabs my hand and says, 'you're nails need trimming!!!' i'd have thought chewed nails would be a disadvantage in watch repair, in effect, one less tool in the arsenal.

Regarding the longines, not sure about some of the thicknesses of line on the dial (well perhaps just the minute recorder) Are the pushers plated?

I don't get Longines why open themselves up to question, by having a watch made and marketed under the heading Novelties?

Novelty:

1. The quality of being novel; newness.
    2. Something new and unusual; an innovation.
    3. A small mass-produced article, such as a toy or trinket.

Should it be any of the above, and does it want to be misrepresented as being the 3rd definition? Their marketing sucks.

BTW did Longines ever make this type of watch?

Last edited by foilguy; 08-31-2017 at 05:05.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post

BTW did Longines ever make this type of watch?
    I think I read that it is a re-issue of sorts of a watch they sold in 1971. I like the "big eye" minutes register, and the different hands used on the sub-dials. I am frankly amazed that Longines didn't blow this with an ugly date window, 6-9-12 configuration, or other easily avoidable design faux pas.

Like others have indicated on this thread, so much for my resolve not to buy any more new watches in 2017. Sheesh, I am so weak.

Myron

Myron, you're right It's a handsome watch, and better then many others of it's type to be sure. Date window Faux pas has been averted, which Longines should get extra credit for.

A few more photos here, no real additional details though: https://monochrome-watches.com/longi...nograph-price/

Heaven help me, I've just emailed my local Longines AD asking if he thinks he'll be able to get one...

- Matt

Monochrome's article says this, which is similar to descriptions posted elsewhere:

Longines here keeps its tradition of pilot watches and military chronographs. The Avigation BigEye has been modelled after an early-1970s watch made for military aviators. Yet, because these watches were made for armed forces, there was no need to be fashionable.
    I'm curious, has anyone been able to turn up any additional info on the supposed original military watch this claims to be based on? It's got a bit of Type XX in it, and I've seen some other vintage chronos with similar minute registers - but not from Longines, as far as I can remember.

What say you, Longines experts?

- Matt

Im dubious on this. Maybe Some one has seen. As a lover of longines chronos maybe Seiji will know. Longines did lots of lovely 2 sub dial steel pilot watches in the 30/40s which would be a closer fit, excepting the 3rd sub dial.

maybe a little bit of poetic licence -

Longines regularly draws on its historical pieces to enhance its Heritage line. Today, it is reissuing a chronograph with a design from the 1930es, in keeping with the great tradition of pilot watches...

The brand with the winged hourglass thus continues to acquire new watches to enrich its museum’s collection, which traces the brand’s 185-year history. Today, Longines has decided to reissue one of its recent acquisitions as part of its Heritage collection: The Longines Avigation BigEye...

or a newly rediscovered rare watch?

Did they ever actually say it was inspired by a Longines watch? Because it really does look a lot like a bezel-less version of these JLCs:

Plus a bit of DNA from Sinn, and a dash of Benrus Sky Chief...

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Did they ever actually say it was inspired by a Longines watch? Because it really does look a lot like a bezel-less version of these JLCs:
    Plus a bit of DNA from Sinn, and a dash of Benrus Sky Chief...
    - Matt
    Case is much nicer than the chunky Heuer/SINN/JLC ones.

In various articles about this watch, I've seen a couple different versions of this story:

http://www.watchonista.com/longines/...2%80%99s-watch

The brand with the winged hourglass thus continues to acquire new watches to enrich its museum’s collection, which traces the brand’s 185-year history. Today, Longines has decided to reissue one of its recent acquisitions as part of its Heritage collection: The Longines Avigation BigEye.
    https://www.salonqp.com/updates/watc...raph-heritage/

It’s the latest addition to Longines’ much-loved Heritage range, and it is based on a model from the 1930s that was recently acquired by the brand’s in-house museum.
    http://timetransformed.com/2017/09/0...gation-bigeye/

It is based on a 1971 Longines, recently purchased by the brand for its factory museum at Saint-Imier.
    So we are meant to believe that the Swatch Group chaps happened upon a vintage original (from what decade?) at the local flea market, and were so keen on it that they decided to turn out a heritage reissue in its image. Well, I guess it's not impossible. But come on Longines, let's see a picture of this supposed original already!

Having said that, I'm still highly enamored with this watch, and can't wait to see one in person.

- Matt