Thread: Any recommended UK watchmakers for a Rolex Explorer II (16570)

Default Any recommended UK watchmakers for a Rolex Explorer II (16570)

My brother has a 16570 explorer II that he's owned from new since the early nineties. It's never been serviced, but now he tells me it sometimes stops when very cold and he needs to either fix it or replace it.

As it was a 21st birthday present I am guessing he'll really want to fix it, but he's probably a bit too tight to pony-up for Rolex UK to do the work (and I can't say I blame him). Are there any cheaper alternative for good service work in the UK ? I know that parts will be the problem, and after 20 years of daily use the crown and tube should probably be placed and there may be wear problems with the auto-winding mechanism. Any suggestions ?

William rice in Beverly, East Yorkshire would be a good place, he's done a few jobs on my rolys, having said that his prices aren't a million miles from rolex prices but he is handier for me and my location.

Very good experience with Duncan Potter at Genesis Watchmaking

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Very good experience with Duncan Potter at Genesis Watchmaking
    +1 for Duncan

Geoff Allnutt @ J.E.Allnutt & Sons, Midhurst (www.littlecogs.com). He sorted out a Lady Datejust for a friend of mine last year; late '90s vintage and it needed a lot of work, but she seemed happy when it came back. He's also done a fair few vintage military bits for me.

Thanks guys. My brother's going to get a quote from Rolex, and I'll let him do that first so he knows the worst case. Then I'll send him your recommendations and he can decide. He's up in North Yorkshire so he'll probably have to post it wherever it goes. I'll update the thread with the outcome !

I also have a 16570 from 1991. Fantastic piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Morritt View Post
    I also have a 16570 from 1991. Fantastic piece.
    Yes they're great watches and underappreciated. I think it was my brother's 21st birthday present, and I remember at the time just not understanding why he'd gone for this over a Seamaster. I thought Rolex were really tacky whilst Omega were really cool. He even hat to put in half from his own savings as it was double the budget he'd been given. Well now, with the advantage of twenty five years of hindsight, I think he made the right call ! Is your's the black or white dial one ? My brothers is white.

If he works out what the cost has been per year it will be reasonable.

Send it to Rolex UK through the local Rolex jeweller.

Instruct that dial and hands are not to be replaced.

Will take around 10 weeks start-to-finish, and cost less than 500, but it is a worthwhile investment.

MW

If you start and stay with the habit of going through Rolex, the value of the watch will stay high. A friend had his Expl 2 done by Rolex US and they sent him the original hands after they replaced them. His is one of the orange arrow ones. I'm not much of a fan of Exp 2.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.W.S. UK View Post
    Send it to Rolex UK through the local Rolex jeweller.

Instruct that dial and hands are not to be replaced.

Will take around 10 weeks start-to-finish, and cost less than 500, but it is a worthwhile investment.

MW
    Hi Mike

I don't really know what he's thinking, but if it was 500 quid to get it sorted by Rolex that's certainly what I would do. I think he was guessing it would be closer to four-figures. He's a real outdoors type and bought it as a tool watch, so I suppose the dilemma for him now is that much better tool watches are available (Suunto, Casio, etc) and they would be a lot cheaper than a service on his Rolex. He's quids in anyway I suppose, he could probably get at least 2500 for it and it cost pretty much half that.