Thread: Smiths chronograph at auction

Default Smiths chronograph at auction

Spotted this along with many others, in a poor state but would clean up ok. Never see a black dial one, only panda dial, not sure on the value so dropped out at 380, it sold for 480 plus COMMISSION @ 21%

Maybe a good purchase for the smiths collector, these are hard to find.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...d-a7c400d999a0

Default auction image

This is the mid/late 1960s Landeron based chronograph which predates the Valjoux job. Their cases are rarely found in good condition! There are 'panda' variants including coppered dial. To my mind the Valjoux and Landeron are as good as each other... its the cheap cases that let the side down!

Barry

Nice piece. And what Barry said.

600 plus 100 on a clean and service puts in pretty squarely in W10 territory, price-wise. I like it. It's a shame Smiths never made an in-house, all-English chrono . . . . But maybe they'd be 5-7k rather than the 500-700 of the "Smwithss" ones, ahead even of the 25j autos.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Hi yes, early 60's, there first offering. Eventhough the case looks bronze, that's just the light. This one is stainless steel case, that's what the auction house states in is condition report

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoria View Post
    This one is stainless steel case, that's what the auction house states in is condition report
    Could be, but I see a lot of chrome-plated watches described as stainless steel, especially if there's no obvious brassing or scratches.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

The more I look at it the more that looks like a chrome plated case with lots of loss in the usual areas (corners / edges of lugs; stems of pushers where the buttons slide over; coin edge milling of winding crown).

I still like it though.

I like the exposure on the Smiths brand, well deserved. But are these Chrono's not just re-branded generic models, with Smiths stamped on the dial? At least the Astral diver had a Smiths Calendar hacking movement in an otherwise totally generic parts build. For me the landeron movement is not the best in ease of use, the chrono function being counter intuitive. Also, and admittedly subjective, it's butt ugly. In the same way as a Valjoux 7733/34 is an ugly thing to behold.

You are correct in that these are merely 'Smiths' branded watches... and bought in. I'm not sure when exactly these began to be offered but it could have been an attempt to offer a MoD chrono in competition with Hamilton, Lemania etc for the 1970s... but with an MoD approved dial. Certainly the late 1960s/early 1970s saw a surge in chronos, many more decorative than functional!

Why Smiths first chose Landeron, I know not, but a mid-1930s Smiths Landeron single pusher exists; its (MA) dial says Great Portland Street which suggests to me it was probably marketed by Smiths' Aviation Division as a navigational aid/pilots watch for Smiths was at the time a leading pioneer in auto-pilots (see my 'Golden Years')... they had disposed of their family-owned watch retail side in 1929. Alas there is still so much we don't know about Smiths... and probably never will!

Yes, the Landeron is counter-intuitive compared to the Valjoux, but you get used to it! What drives me mad are quartz watches and chronos with a 1-sec beat .... an awful lot can happen in 1/5th sec!

Barry

975 for a "Smiths" reverse panda chronograph!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINTA...vip=true&rt=nc

Default auction images

RARE VINTAGE 1970's SMITHS CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH BLACK DIAL VALJOUX 7733 WATCH

MEGA RARE BLACK DIAL MILITARY STYLE REVERSE PANDA

Winning bid: 975.02 GBP - 36 bids

Smile