Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: OVER SERVICED AND SOLD IWC WWW. NOT SURE I'M A FAN OF JÜRG'S WORK...

  1. #1

    Default OVER SERVICED AND SOLD IWC WWW. NOT SURE I'M A FAN OF JÜRG'S WORK...

    Yes, just seen this, sold a week or so ago online. We've all seen overworked and over restored Mark XIs before, but I've never seen a Mark X. This is a a true triumph of over enthusiasm over taste and any regard for history. And a bit of a tragedy. But Jürg seems thrilled with his work over there at Schaffhausen.

    A warning to all I think.

  2. #2
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Hey don't be rude, I bought it !

  3. #3
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,616

    Default auction images


    IWC Stainless Steel Military Watch Circa 1944













  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London (formerly Edinburgh)
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Bargain price though! Original dials turn up eventually.

  5. #5
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Here's a link to when it was previously sold...

    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20080/lot/115/

  6. #6
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,616

    Default

    actually I would be more than happy to own it at that price..

  7. #7
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,616

    Default before restoration


  8. #8
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunkman View Post
    Yes, just seen this, sold a week or so ago online. We've all seen overworked and over restored Mark XIs before, but I've never seen a Mark X. This is a a true triumph of over enthusiasm over taste and any regard for history. And a bit of a tragedy. But Jürg seems thrilled with his work over there at Schaffhausen.

    A warning to all I think.
    I knew it wouldn't get much love here

    https://omegaforums.net/threads/w-mi...25#post-769363

  9. #9
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,616

    Question

    I wonder why they didn't paint the subsidiary seconds hand white..

  10. #10

    Default

    yes, prefer the before. More expensive before too (December 2012 @ £2110, £1800 now). The service would have come in at about £1K too...maybe more. So a good deal if you like that sort of thing. Bet it glows in the dark now...

  11. #11
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,616

    Default from OF


  12. #12
    Senior Member foilguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,190

    Default

    A well cheap purchase, nice one. I'm sure a dial, hands and crown can be found to restore this back to its former glory in time. Hate those IWC facsimile crowns.

  13. #13
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunkman View Post
    yes, prefer the before. More expensive before too (December 2012 @ £2110, £1800 now). The service would have come in at about £1K too...maybe more. So a good deal if you like that sort of thing. Bet it glows in the dark now...
    Although it wasn't a great example I still much prefer the before too. I bought it mainly because I thought the price was great, and with the other parts I have I would have probably paid that just for a case and serviced movement.

    The problem I have now is deciding what to do with it. I could put in an original dial and hands (which I have), but actually I already have a case and movement lined up for those. I thought about building it up with a NATO dial (hence the WTB request last week), but it doesn't seem likely that I'll find one. And then the truth is, there are people out there who might actually pay a premium for this. Some people hate the idea of wearing a watch with radium, want lume that glows, and like the knowledge that it's had a full factory overhaul. Maybe there are trade possibilities so I'll keep my eye on the IWC forums for anyone looking to refurb an original example.

  14. #14

    Default

    you can't really lose...

  15. #15

    Default

    I quite like this! When we talk vintage remakes I'd much rather have this on my wrist than anything new.

  16. #16
    Member isologue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petahwong View Post
    I quite like this! When we talk vintage remakes I'd much rather have this on my wrist than anything new.
    Funnily enough, I was thinking this looks like an 'IWC tribute to the Mark X'*. A horrible thought but, hang on, surely they wouldn't.....?

    Regards,

    Martin (isologue)

    *obligatory reminder here that the only Mark X ever produced was made by SMITHS but internet history will forever record the following nonsense as 'fact': 'the Mark XI replaced the Mark X in the British Army and the Mark X was based on IWC's earlier Mark IX'.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    *obligatory reminder here that the only Mark X ever produced was made by SMITHS but internet history will forever record the following nonsense as 'fact': 'the Mark XI replaced the Mark X in the British Army and the Mark X was based on IWC's earlier Mark IX'.
    Yes, I know this, I'd always rather call it simply the WWW IWC, but this Mark X moniker seems to have stuck everywhere.

  18. #18

    Default

    And that WWW didn't go near a Spitfire either. Another pet hate.

  19. #19
    Member hookedseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brit in Germany
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by springmount View Post
    And that WWW didn't go near a Spitfire either. Another pet hate.
    Maybe it got close to one on Jürg's service bench


  20. #20
    Member isologue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trunkman View Post
    Yes, I know this, I'd always rather call it simply the WWW IWC, but this Mark X moniker seems to have stuck everywhere.
    If there's one place it shouldn't stick it's here.

    Regards,

    Martin (isologue)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •