Thread: auction images

Default auction images

Vintage Genuine & Very Rare Smiths Jump Hour Watch

Winning bid: 5.50 GBP - Approximately $7.22 USD - 3 bids

Default auction images

Smiths Early Pre Everest 1952

Sold for 450.00 GBP - Approximately $590.36 USD - Buy It Now

450 is about 4 times too much. 30mm snap-back case, common reference, average condition, unserviced. Although I think that's the stainless steel case. Still, 125, tops.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

The jump-hour watch is not of course a proper British-made 'Smiths' but an imported post-1971 Swiss junk badged Smiths/Astral/Ingersoll/TomDick&Harry. Smiths consciously wound down high-grade clocks and chronometric (escapement) speedos around 1965/6; Ingersoll pulled out in 1969; Cheltenham Astrals ended late 1970 and in May 1971 Smiths chose to end watch-production and thereafter only import. Production ended at Wales in 1972. Sales ended in 1979 (clocks 1980). Stop- and pocket-watches are another story!

Unfortunately there is no certainty over what these later watch movements are until you open the back, or the quality of the imported case! In theory 'Astrals' were a higher grade than the plain 'Smiths'. Some ETA ('Incabloc' marked dial) manual and automatic movements were used especially in the now very few gold presentation watches, but most were inexpensive Bettlach or Agon... while better grade imports had the Japanese Hamazawa manual or automatic...

There are several 1970s quartz watches (not to be confused with Smiths' own 'Quasar'); many are ETA, but the 1971 to 1979 era is very poorly recorded. It's literally pot luck, so only buy out of curiosity!

Barry