Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should or should not get Longines Weems A-11 ?

Default Should or should not get Longines Weems A-11 ?

I might have a opportunity to get a correct Longiness Weems A-11. The watch being so small, I am wondering if I should buy it or not. The watch has correct dial, hands, movement with military bridge markings, and correct engraved military back. Just missing the bezel lock and has wrong locking crown. I don't think these are cheap so wondering the general opinion.

if you really like it then buy it otherwise buy something else that you do like..

Having owned 3, now down to my last one. Which is mint, I can't say I ever wear it. I've 99 percentile hands and thick wrists, so looks a bit silly. Amazing watch though, love the engraved movement and case back. Last one I sold for 1000 what's the one you've been offered at?

Rare watches. So it will fulfill a collecting niche, if that's what you desire.

I own all three of the popular makes none weems A-11 ones just for the history I keep them. There small about the size of a weems. Use to wear them until a friends sister said what do you got on a women's watch. Like Paul said the size looks silly my friends sister really messed with me that day if your into the WW2 history of these go for it but not a daily wearer.

Thanks for the candid replies. Usually, I like to wear everything I buy, and I have to admit, I haven't worn my Hamilton or Elgin canteen watches in a long time due to the size. The Longines weems is even smaller. The watch I am sure my friend/watchmaker will sell to me for a fair price so likely 1,000 BP if I ask. Not cheap considering what else 1000 can get you. The father was my original watchmaker, before he passed on, he gave it to me, but I said it was valuable and declined it. 5 years later, I still think about adding it to my Longines/Military collection. But, darn it, if it was 34mm I'd buy right away!

I am 6'3" and I wear a white dial A-11 daily. it is smaller than most modern watches, but as I don't have any hangups about size, I don't give a hoot about anybody's opinion of the size of an A-11. In reality, I am pretty convinced that guys who wear big honking watches are probably compensating for something

The guys who originally wore these watches were mountains. I am humbled to be able to wear one.

Patrick

Watch size is like anything fashion:

You wear parachute pants? Diamond studs in your ears? Mom jeans? Plaid lumberjack shirts?

If you can pull it off and look good.

IF not and I see ya, you will be apart of my internal monologue: "Damn that watch looks stupid on him."

with reference to WW2 from the Army Quartermaster Museum -

Data compiled for millions of inductees shows the following to be the actual measurements of the "average" newcomer to the Army as he appears at the clothing counter of a reception center: 5' 8" tall; 144 pounds in weight; 33 " chest measurement; 31" waist measurement. From the tariff tables showing the frequency of size issues it is found that the sizes most frequently issued are a 7 to 7 hat, number 9 gloves, a 15 shirt with a 33" sleeve, a 36 regular jacket, a pair of trousers with a 32" waist and a 32" leg length, size 11 socks, and size 9-D shoes. These figures may be taken to indicate the size of the "average" American young man.

Dave we have gotten fat think I weighed 170 pounds out of boot camp 37 years ago. Dam average weight 144 pounds in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    with reference to WW2 from the Army Quartermaster Museum -
    I guess that's why U.S. WWII watches work so well for me. That's my exact size, pre-cancer, down to the glove, shoe and shirt size...same waist and inseam, as well. However, I'm about a 38 inch chest. So that's the biggest difference.

- Ian

Remember the cohort of 1939-45 had all grown up in the Depression, some doubtless very undernourished.

Now we eat too much and do too little. But big watches (say >42mm) are stupid. I remember when I first got a vintage watch at ≈32mm and it felt too small but now that's seems OK, although I prefer 34 or 36mm. 30mm is too small for me, but watches with large, uncluttered light-coloured dials and small bezels will aways "wear" bigger.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

These should always be collectible - Somebody is always going to buy your correct Longines Weems A-11 if you should tire of it. Not to derail but this Sht grinds me: I'm also 6'3" and in a no-nonsense profession, office lawyers and the street, and the guys can be merciless. Once during an interview I used a Parker Vac fountain pen which eventually caused notice by an associate who HAD to point it out, and everything paused until I responded "Like really?! Who Gives a ....!" Re Watches - i just picked up a 32mm Vacheron (c.1995 auto date). I also wear correct and non-correct A11's (yup, those Elgin/Bulova sorts which come from the same two LA-based Japanese/Chinese fellows who share the same address(!))(and BTW, I have a sense someone in Asia casts those "nos" ORD cases). My point being who gives a flying french nun it's a small watch. Get it to wear it. As you must already know once you wear those w regularity the 40mm and + seem Yuge and silly. My point being I'm a watch and collectible person - I don't give a damn about another person's uninformed opinion. It's literally ALL ABOUT MY OPINION. They ask you why you wear a ladies' watch? Look them well over and ask them "Uh, What's your hobby or passion?" and then rip-away where it don't comport to your thinking. "Different strokes...," but your strokes are yours. Go get that Longines and let's see it.
    Last edited by rrrgcy; 07-30-2017 at 21:13.

Do you need it?

If not.

Pass

DON

Well, I finally bought it. My good friend Joe sold it to me. I have him a good price. His dad once gave it to me, but I wasn't sure he really understood it had even then a value of more than a few hundred. Jack the father passed on about 5 years ago and I always though I wanted this watch, but didn't want to be a vulture going through my friends father's things so I never gave it another though until recently.

Although the condition is a bit poor to be honest and I am going to need some donor parts to get it fully functioning, I am enjoying this new project. I also don't plan to do too much radical changes to the watch since that was kind of an understanding with my friend that I am going to preserve the watch rather than go all Rolex/Ian Fleming/Explore 1016. It is their family heirloom that got past to me in a way.

Assuming this is an authentic internal memo and the only request for authorization to
    order the Longines A11 Weems, there should be less than 200 survivors. Since I don't
    have the actual memo, there is always a chance it was created by some watch collector,
    but I tend to think it is plausible.

Oh yes, forgot the most important part. Can I get some leads on watch crowns and the lock for this little guy?

If the above memo is authentic, and it seems authentic, the follow group were the first or only group to receive the Longines.

Beautiful watch, great patina. Nice back story too. Enjoy wearing it, I would and I am 6'4".

Outstanding. Are the crown or lock incorrect?

Congrats on your new Weems A-11

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    If the above memo is authentic, and it seems authentic, the follow group were the first or only group to receive the Longines.
    Without expressing a view as to the memo's authenticity, I suspect any Longines Weems of 1935 vintage was a very different beast: more probably a precursor of the hour angle watch with the seconds setting bezel positioned as a central disc and pin set?

Nice A-11 though. Very tidy.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)