Thread: Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk

Default Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk

Just saw the movie and thought it was a magnificent piece of old-school film making. On a couple of brief occasions a Spitfire pilot glances at his watch, which you can clearly see is an Omega Weems. Top marks to the props department.

sweet! i'm booked in to see it tomorrow with the better half.

Default trailers

Last edited by dave; 07-23-2017 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    sweet! i'm booked in to see it tomorrow with the better half.
    Take your ear plugs, great film but it's LOUD.

Did you see it in Imax? I've read from numerous reviewers that Imax is the way to go.. I was already hooked early on when I read that 6,000 extras were used instead of little CG men..that's one hell of a lot of uniforms & equipment having to be sourced/made! An Imax water proof camera was attached to the fuselage of a large scale German model plane which was heading down into the water after being shot down for extra realism..

Definitely want to see this. This is why you could pay my way to Germany and I wouldn't go. My great uncle Howard Burton died in a Lancaster just outside Munich. A yank who wanted to fight for Britain in the RCAF. 30-40 missions in a Wimpy and 1st in a Lancaster he dies.

I saw it in IMAX but not being much of a cinema goer I don't know what the difference is - and still don't..
    It's a great film and I got a real sense of desperation, well recommended.

Yeah,
    My Uncle died in the RCAF, also in a Lanc, over Dortmund on 44/5/22.
    Only about 4 Operational Flights, then, jumped by a Nightfighter.
    Found all the information on the pilot of the Nightfighter though. really interesting.
    My father wasn't too interested in it all, but my other uncle certainly was.
    I always wanted to go RCAF, but ended up Navy & then Army reserve for a few more years.

Trying to get the wife to see Dunkirk......
    Last edited by Drew Morritt; 07-24-2017 at 00:49.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Definitely want to see this. This is why you could pay my way to Germany and I wouldn't go. My great uncle Howard Burton died in a Lancaster just outside Munich. A yank who wanted to fight for Britain in the RCAF. 30-40 missions in a Wimpy and 1st in a Lancaster he dies.
    That's interesting Dave. I once knew an American who joined the RCAF too and ended up in Lancs. I still have his training book and USA shoulder patches along with a picture in uniform.. A lot of people don't know that there were many folks from south of the border who signed on with the RCAF before America entered WW2..

Howard Burton was a 30s guy when WW2 broke out. He had just gone through the great depression which practically ruined the country. He wanted to do something that mattered. Couldn't get the USAAF to give him a chance so he went North. I happened to contact a Canadian Lancaster group and they sent me all of the information about the incident. Pilot, crewmen all their names and dates. Evidently Munchen (Munich) was way deep into Germany at that time. They had no belly guns on the Lancaster and the nightfighters could just come up from below and hit it with the oblique pointed 20s straight into the belly. With probably a thousand gal of 100 octain all over the airframe, it didn't take much to bring one down. I never could understand the wisdom of rifle cal weapons on a bomber. The US had 50 cal which reached out at least twice as far. He died in 1943. I am named after him. My grandmother almost died with grief as they were very close brother and sister.

Mortality rates in Bomber Command were very heavy during WWII for all Commonwealth Aircrews. Practically suicidal at times.

Saw on IMAX last night, i can tell you it's the way forward....what IMAX but not 3D!!....yes sir, an amazing experience, with an amazing film.

Its really good to read some of the comments about the film both here and elsewhere; I was hoping that Nolan would do the subject matter and scale of the whole undertaking justice & it sounds like he has. The visuals in the trailer look fantastic and the casting looks to be spot on. Now I just have to fund a way of a) losing all the small ones for an evening and b) finding somewhere in Stockholm that is showing it in English with no subtitles to ruin it.....

Finally saw this today, in iMax, without children in tow.

What an absolutely marvellous film. Yes, there were some anachronisms and maybe the scale of Dynamo didn't come through as much as it could have, but as an account of what soldiers, sailors, airmen and civvies went through at a personal level, I thought that it was magnificent. And, as I hoped, the casting was spot on.

One last thing. As the credits rolled after the film, I noticed that all the Swedes left the cinema as if they had just seen any other mainstream film. I wonder if that would be the same in the UK or France? As an ex-pat Brit, i just needed to sit there for a few moments to take in what I had seen. Very thought provoking.

I saw Blackhawk Down in a theater and as the film ends it shows the flag draped coffins of the kids that died there. A woman stood and turned toward the people and said that her son was one of them. Talk about stun the audience.

"One last thing. As the credits rolled after the film, I noticed that all the Swedes left the cinema as if they had just seen any other mainstream film. I wonder if that would be the same in the UK or France? As an ex-pat Brit, i just needed to sit there for a few moments to take in what I had seen. Very thought provoking. "

They dug iron ore for Hitler and made him ball bearings.

I never could understand the wisdom of rifle cal weapons on a bomber.
    Weight? The British heavy bombers had a bomb load not far off double B17s & 24s.
    Law's in the wash this week

True, and the B17s and B24s had around 12-13 .50 cal machine guns that would reach out and get someone's attention at a half mile. The .303 pop guns on the Lancaster were good for about 500 yds and wouldn't do much if they did hit the Hun. A 50 cal slug would go through an Me109.

Tell me that the Bomber Command was willing to have 50% casualties so they could carry a few more bombs? I doubt that. The Germans had the same design flaws on their medium bombers and it cost them dearly as well.

"One last thing. As the credits rolled after the film, I noticed that all the Swedes left the cinema as if they had just seen any other mainstream film. I wonder if that would be the same in the UK or France? As an ex-pat Brit, i just needed to sit there for a few moments to take in what I had seen. Very thought provoking. "

They dug iron ore for Hitler and made him ball bearings.
    Actually, IIRC they sold iron ore to both sides and did pretty much whatever they could to stay out of the conflict, making a fair bit of money & laying the foundations of the post WW2 Swedish economy in the process. This is not widely spoken about or understood, probably because it was not their finest hour. The Norwegians were not overly impressed, particularly when the troop & ammunition trains started running though Sweden to support the German positions in northern Norway.