Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WW2 RAF CLOCK

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    please check your PM..
    I have checked and see poor pics with reflections on them. I'm not a very good Photographer am I ?.
    Has anyone else got a round top RAF Clock like mine ?, I cannot be the only one with one, apart from the one I saw in the US years ago.

Hello Hut27 your clocks is a correct RAF mess clock. It is made from the fusse version back box that were used when the wood became scarce during the rationing periods of WW2. There are several to be found in Bob Gardeners excellent book RAF clocks. The hands on your clock are replacement, but i seem to recall another in the above mentioned book with similar hands. Stockall & Marple & Elliott were the largest suppliers to the Air Ministry and its been stated that the Stockall & Marple versions are slightly better quality. From what i see from your pics the markings on the back plate of your movement are are correct and consistent with others i have in my collection. The RAF mess clock is still very much under valued and in my opinion and prices can only rise. Regards Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Mr C Richfield View Post
    Hello Hut27 your clocks is a correct RAF mess clock. It is made from the fusse version back box that were used when the wood became scarce during the rationing periods of WW2. There are several to be found in Bob Gardeners excellent book RAF clocks. The hands on your clock are replacement, but i seem to recall another in the above mentioned book with similar hands. Stockall & Marple & Elliott were the largest suppliers to the Air Ministry and its been stated that the Stockall & Marple versions are slightly better quality. From what i see from your pics the markings on the back plate of your movement are are correct and consistent with others i have in my collection. The RAF mess clock is still very much under valued and in my opinion and prices can only rise. Regards Clive
    Hello Clive, I still think the Hands on my Round top RAF Clock are correct for this model evidenced by Page 175 of "British Military Timepieces" By Konrad Knirim and the fact that I saw another with the same hands. So that makes 3 of this case type with the very same hands . Have you one of this case type?.

Hello again Clive, I have contacted Bob Gardener and sent him ser no's of my two clocks as he is keeping a database of all RAF Clocks. He confirmed to me that the hands on my (Curved Top Case ) his words, are correct for this type of case. There are less than 45 recorded examples of these curved top cased clocks at present so I imagine that makes them more desirable. Also he stated that he wrote the Precis for Konrad Knirim's book. Thanks for your interest, Ged' Hut27

Hello yes i have both Bod Gardeners book and both volumes of Konrads book along with others. I also a very large collection of military issued clocks. Although i completely understand the above, to me and its only my opinion, the clocks do not look correct with this style hand, and because of the low number encountered, again my view only, are put together from odds and ends spares laying around in the workshops when nothing else to do. Possibly in an attempt to make then more attractive. Regards Clive

The story Bob Gardner told me regarding these clocks 15 years ago was that they were all knocked up in 1941 when the U-boat blockade was at its worst and supply of wood imports was limited. The Air Ministry or Ministry Of Supply wanted more mantel clocks and they got Elliott to use spare upside down back boxes from wall clocks which were mahogany and they veneered them in oak (as per the mantel clock specification) and then used fusee movements and the unusual type of hands left over - possibly from some cancelled civilian contract. I agree these hands do not look great on military clocks (which are usually more simple in appearance) and also the inspection door half way down the case from their original wall clock origin looks strange. However, as an example of "Make Do And Mend" they are a perfect specimen. All the ones I have seen are Elliott with 1941 movements so I wonder if yours got a swapped out S&M movement at some stage (very common when they were is use)?

Quote Originally Posted by brian_c View Post
    The story Bob Gardner told me regarding these clocks 15 years ago was that they were all knocked up in 1941 when the U-boat blockade was at its worst and supply of wood imports was limited. The Air Ministry or Ministry Of Supply wanted more mantel clocks and they got Elliott to use spare upside down back boxes from wall clocks which were mahogany and they veneered them in oak (as per the mantel clock specification) and then used fusee movements and the unusual type of hands left over - possibly from some cancelled civilian contract. I agree these hands do not look great on military clocks (which are usually more simple in appearance) and also the inspection door half way down the case from their original wall clock origin looks strange. However, as an example of "Make Do And Mend" they are a perfect specimen. All the ones I have seen are Elliott with 1941 movements so I wonder if yours got a swapped out S&M movement at some stage (very common when they were is use)?
    Hi Brian_c, Thanks for interest, My S&M Clock has the usual Hands and has the tall Flat Top case. It is my Curved Top Cased Clock the discussion and query is about, I say the Fancy Hands on this clock made up from odds and ends are correct ( I do agree they don't look very Military). This Curved Top cased Clock is by FW Elliot and dated 1941. I am also of the opinion that as this clock of mine is unusual (N0t Run of the Mill) and this very fact makes it more desirable and dare I say it maybe more valuable.

The hands are absolutely correct as is the date of manufacture.