Thread: Ship's Engine room clock - why small hour dial?

Default Ship's Engine room clock - why small hour dial?

OK, I grant you a clock is a tad larger than a wrist-watch, but as an ignorant land-lubber/landsman who can't swim:

Why do Royal Navy (all Navies?) Engine Room clocks have a large outer 0-60 sec chapter ring for the centre-seconds hand, but a much smaller central hour/minute dial?

Anyone?

Here are two from the US Navy

One from the Italian Navy

One from the German navy

One from the Japanese Navy
    Now tell me what's small about it you lost me ?

OK - take your central blue (Italian) photo: on a Royal Navy engine room clock, the outer 0-12 (hours) chapter ring would read 0 - 60 (5, 10, 15.. secs/mins) while the smaller, inner ring would read 0-12 hours - the second and minute hands would be full length. Google 'Ships engine room clock' images.

Would this emphasis on the seconds/minutes relate to the dangers of over-revving an engine at full steam for too long for example in an emergency?

Default Smiths Astral

Thanks Dave - getting images onto MWF is too technical for me!!

Maybe the minute's and second are better for monitoring engine room machinery. The US Navy never used that style clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenellic2000 View Post
    Thanks Dave - getting images onto MWF is too technical for me!!
    IMGUR Is easy create a album and make sure it's hidden . The Album will have add photo you hit that a cartoon shows you were to drag and drop photo to download to album so you pick the photo from your file on you computer drag and drop were the cartoon says done.

You mover the pointer in the right side corner of the photo you want to post this pops up get shared links.

Then hit copy for the forum one you can't miss it then paste in your thread here done easy as pie.

I was told by an ex- RN chap that these clocks were used on the ship's bridge (possibly engine rooms too) where minutes and seconds were important when making manoeuvres and could be read easily at a glance, hence the larger minutes /seconds chapter ring. The hour reading was of secondary importance.

Thanks Stephen, that makes more sense than an 'engine room' clock where 'hours run' for maintenance is usually taken off a calibrated tachometer/Proof-meter (as on farm tractors).

I can just imagine John Pertwee and Leslie Philips in 'The Navy Lark' ordering "Left hand down a bit for 10 seconds.... oooerr - sorry No.1"