Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instagram...OMG

Default Instagram...OMG

well as i'm only 15 months away from 50, i figured the beginnings of getting old, were to be begin to to disassociate with modern phenomena. I decided IG (instagram) would be the start awhile back. However as everyone has been 'banging on' about it recently i figured why not. I have to say I've seen vintage watches I've never seen before, and other examples where previously I struggled to find good comparisons.

Some peoples collections are amazing. Maybe i'll pursue this IG further....

I still don't do Instagram or Facebook you think your old I got 10 years on you. Will be 60 next year only good thing about that the US Naval Reserve will finely start paying me for retirement.

Be careful on it. Dad gets a lot of solicitation from girls in their 20s...

Instagram has been a great outlet for me to connect with other collectors. I wouldn't have been able to know some collectors who are also members on this forum without Instagram.

IG is an amazing resource, to see rare example of watches, connect with fellow collectors, and even to source hard to find pieces. It's also super easy to post images, as opposed to the recent issues with Photobucket and the multi-step process to post pictures on forums. What's everyone's handles on IG?

IG is great, follow me. My tag is JoFozter

Bum tat?

I prefer IG as it's pics only with minimal text. I don't need to read about fantasy lives from complete strangers. It's a great resource but there are a lot more (watch) temptations...

Instagram is an incredible place to see incredible watches.
    At the same time, I blame it for spiralling prices on certain references.
    Dealers are sweeping up on forums and Ebay watches they then resell on Instagram at 4 times the price.
    People who had no knowledge or interest about certain watches are now all rushing to buy them.
    It is quite disheartening, and I regret posting some of the little I already have.
    It's like a gigantic stock market.

I just joined too, same username as here. There are some truly unbelievable collections on there, and I'm sure I have only scraped the surface. Favorite so far is "tchrono"

Glad you've got into it and nice to put a face to the name at the Birmingham watch fair.
    I was initially suspicious at first and have never signed up to facebook etc.
    However, now i've used IG for a year I've met some great people and love the non intrusive way that you can just share pictures of watches.
    It's a great resource and have discovered loads of people on it from across the world who I've had dealings with over the years.

Followed you.

I'm an IG junkie. Have made some great friends around the world and have bought and sold some watches with Instagram contacts.

You do get some strange women with dodgy websites following you and some people want to buy everything you post up. But that aside from that you can learn a lot and make some great contacts.

username nbswatches

Agreed the best part about IG are the discussions and interactions with like minded enthusiasts. A bit like forums but much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrte View Post
    Instagram is an incredible place to see incredible watches.
    At the same time, I blame it for spiralling prices on certain references.
    Dealers are sweeping up on forums and Ebay watches they then resell on Instagram at 4 times the price.
    People who had no knowledge or interest about certain watches are now all rushing to buy them.
    It is quite disheartening, and I regret posting some of the little I already have.
    It's like a gigantic stock market.
    I would agree with this and I'd also say the same happens across all male dominated scenes - vintage military clothing, leather jackets, motorbikes, vintage sports sweats, vintage cars, vinyl LPs, classic / boxfresh trainers, new clothing drops, cameras. you name it. I have seen several instances of rare pieces being bought on eBay and being posted up a few days later as "a new find". It's people desperate for attention, likes, emojis ( ⚡️🔥🙏😍💰🔫 etc) and new followers. If I have the right LP / watch I can sell it in seconds to a trophy hunter online for BIG BUCKS. A mate of mine just sold an Italian LP for 1300 in ten minutes on IG, the American who bought it posted it up a week later for a whole lotta likes and some heavy "wow dude, GRAIL" comments. But no mention of the 1300 spent. I also see people posing with Milsubs, Daytona Paul Newmans, even Torneks, to thousands of followers. I get the impression it's all about the grails and everyone seems to be forgetting about the whole fun of the chase, the art of developing your own taste, leaning about a scene etc. Much as I like OG much of it sticks in my craw. There's one guy who just posts pictures of his MN Tudor, relentlessly. I cannot follow watch collectors - I wish there was more humour, people take it all to seriously and competitively. And yes, prices are shooting up for those grails just so people can post up they have found one. I do prefer the mysteries of the past.

For all it's faults, it's the only "social media" I use.
    I like it.

Trunkman. All is not lost. I'm a mystery from the past. Whats your morse code? Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by springmount View Post
    Trunkman. All is not lost. I'm a mystery from the past. Whats your morse code? Ian.

.--- --- -. -. -.-- - .-. ..- -. -.-

I'm on there as Kramykram, but most of my feed is classic car/race car related - occasional watches...
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Winston Churchill

Trunkman:

I must agree with your sentiments. It seems to me in this era of social media, every one just wants what every one else wants. People don't have or bother to develop their own tastes, so they just gravitate towards what others think are the 'grails' or the coolest stuff. I am sad that military and vintage watches have suffered tremendously from this phenomenon with the consequent ridiculous rise of prices, some times without any real reason or merit. The same can be said for a lot of other collectable things such as vintage hifi or as mentioned, vinyl records, both in which I have an interest.

I stay away from FB, instagram or Twitter. Reading and occasional posting on this forum is the closest I'll ever get to social media. I just don't think it's healthy or wise to get sucked into this.