Thread: Ball = Balls

Default Ball = Balls

I've just seen the Ball watch advert for the limited edition Endurance anniversary model. Very carefully worded copy! It implies that Shackleton used a Ball watch on his epic journey without actually saying so. They are shamelessly piggybacking on an explorer and expedition with which they as a company have no historic connection.

Rolex have done the same with Hillary and Everest: as you probably know Sir Ed actually wore a 15j Smiths De Luxe (the watch is in the Science Museum) but Rolex have had some weasel-worded adverts over the years that suggest he had one of theirs on his wrist. (E.g. putting pictures side by side and allowing the readers to make the connection.) Very naughty.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

In honor of Sir Ernest Shackleton and the 100th anniversary of his Trans-Antarctic Expedition...

http://shop.ballwatch.ch/e1917

But the people who spent a few thousand bucks for this, buy the great explorer feeling. They areactually a great explorer with this watch on the wrist.

Imagine you just bought a professional bike for a lot of money, you just did a lot of training for a world record bike trip accros south america, and a local farmer with his old museum like bike, effortlessly overtakes you:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/watch-emba...095757253.html

Quite nice watches though. nice to have a reasonably sized 40 mm option, maybe the industry is listening. Seems a pre-order watch can be had for 900?

http://shop.ballwatch.ch/e1917

To be fair Revo, they aren't ever suggesting a watch of theirs was used originally in 1917. Only that it's a worthy land mark to be remembered, and the watch is tasteful, and seems to have some nice details. Unfortunately there is no smiths (Eddie aside) around to celebrate the centenary of that amazing feat, that's the biggest shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbby View Post
    Imagine you just bought a professional bike for a lot of money, you just did a lot of training for a world record bike trip accros south america, and a local farmer with his old museum like bike, effortlessly overtakes you...
    but the farmer was wearing an endurance watch..

I too see no implications, but I do see a date window at one..

It's a watch. Advertising makes it happen guys. We live in an age where people are willing to pay $2500 for a fake bicycle, a monthly fee to have some dork on a computer screen badger you about how you aren't "Crushing the pack" like a Tour De France rider, all under the name Peloton. I watch the commercials because they have fabulous women in them living in $10M houses, with a perfect husband and perfect children......

hmmm; well apparently there were cricket BALLs at the South Pole..

but not on Everest - the wrong terrain.

At risk of being too risque, 4 balls did ascend Everest, cossetted in woollen pants! But I understand Revo's point.

If you have an Eternamatic I believe you've got five balls?

It was the advert's use of a dodgy (good English word) "Men Wanted" small ad that riled me, too.

http://www.antarctic-circle.org/advert.htm

Anyway I've cheered up now (had my meds).

There were a lot of brave / stupid men doing brave / stupid things in 1917 . . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

That describes marriage surely?!