Thread: Seiko RAF Gen 1 movement issue / servicing

Default Seiko RAF Gen 1 movement issue / servicing

'Evening all,

I am in the process of acquiring a rather nice Gen 1 RAF Seiko but it appears to have a few problems: the chronograph doesn't reset fully to zero and it also seems to run only for a few minutes following a full reset. As I am a quartz virgin, at least when it comes to servicing, can anyone advise who might be able to service the watch for me in the UK or Europe and some idea of likely costs? I have heard that Seiko UK used to be an option but that they can no longer do it for the 7a28 watches . Please correct me if I'm wrong on that!

Thanks in advance!

/Kristian.

Hi Kristian. I contacted Seiko uk earlier this year and they told me they would service mine. Needed to see watch before giving price

Quote Originally Posted by Easypeasy View Post
    Hi Kristian. I contacted Seiko uk earlier this year and they told me they would service mine. Needed to see watch before giving price

So did I and they said that they would charge me £149 and 6.99 for postage. I bought a complete NOS movement from e bay the only differance was the date wheel was black, but the watch still sold.

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    So did I and they said that they would charge me £149 and 6.99 for postage. I bought a complete NOS movement from e bay the only differance was the date wheel was black, but the watch still sold.
    Seiko Gen 1 has the 7A28 movement, which does not have a date function.
    The Gen 2 with 7T27 movement is the one with date.

I took a GEN 1 into Seiko UK a couple of month ago, they returned it saying they did not have the parts to fix it.

Apparently it was main electronic circuit board that is defective. I am still looking for that part or a replacement movement if any has one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jikea View Post
    I took a GEN 1 into Seiko UK a couple of month ago, they returned it saying they did not have the parts to fix it.

Apparently it was main electronic circuit board that is defective. I am still looking for that part or a replacement movement if any has one.

Thanks
    Makes me wonder then if all they have left now are parts to fix Gen.2's only..

Possibly they have mechanical parts, but I think with Quartz watches it is the electronic parts that will be the problem as time goes by.

I just want to check on the functioning of the chronograph.

I periodically have to reset the totalizer hands. I always have to trial-and-error the right steps, but I think pull the crown half out and you can incrementally move the register hands with the pushers.

The 1/10th second only runs for ten minutes, I guess on the assumption that you don't need that kind of accuracy thereafter. The second hand still sweeps and minute totalizer still counts elapsed minutes.
    Bill in Sacramento

Thanks for the help & advice chaps, much appreciated! The watch is currently en-route and I should have it by the end of the week once I have emerged from the depths of the Swedish forest in which we are currently ensconsed, enjoying 10 degree warm lake water and a smörgåsbord of small biting insects 👍
    I think I'm going to give Seiko UK a ring but also see whether theWatchBloke might be able to take it at some point soon; he has quite an impressive teardown of a 7a28 movement on his site.
    Re. the Gen 2 model, I'm thinking that it might be worth picking up a NOS movement or two for spares as futureproofing, just in case....
    /K.

Spencer Klein of Klein Vintage Watches does work on 7Axx models also. He's upfront about what he thinks the watch will need and does little videos for clients explaining what work he suggests prior to starting. (He just did a Gen 1 last month.)

Good luck, and enjoy your watch!

+1 on Spencer Klein, truly an expert, and has a backlog that reflects that (one of mine included).

Thanks for the tips re. Spencer Klein. I'm totally new to Seikos so he's not someone I've heard of before but he seems to be a bit of a Seiko guru indeed! Someone to bear in mind in future, although he is a bit distant for me.
    For my Gen 1, Duncan, theWatchBloke has kindly added me to his never-ending in-tray. I pick up the watch later today so we'll see what state it's in when I get it in my grubby hands. From the pics that I have seen, I believe it could be described as "worked hard".....