Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: HELP WITH THIS GERMAN WATCH

  1. #1

    Default HELP WITH THIS GERMAN WATCH

    Hello everyone,

    I am not familiar, or very little with WW2 German watches. I bought this particular on in a lot and was wondering the following:

    * was this issued to the Luftwaffe?
    * if not was it issued to any other branch of the German war machine?
    * approximate date of production? I have a feeling it should circa 1939/40. The crown is definitely not the original crown which I believe, from the obe example of this watch I found on the web that the crown should be pocket watch style.

    Photos:


  2. #2
    Member pilotswatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    571

    Default

    They are called " German 1928 pattern aviator watches"
    Here is one of the results found by researching here on the forum.
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...n+1928+pattern

  3. #3

    Default A very nice example

    You have a nice pilot's watch from the mid-1930s. I can see it will be difficult to stop calling them "1928 pattern" watches. They were common to many air forces, so where you bought it might be a clue to its first wearer.

    It seems regrettable that former images have now disappeared. My experience is that these started with large, extended crown arrangements and as the thirties approached 1940, more normal crowns were used.

    As for dating, see if others agree. If the caseback is nickel-chrome, then it dates closer to 1935. If the caseback is stainless steel/staybrite, then closer to 1940.
    Bill in Sacramento

  4. #4
    Senior Member river rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montana USA
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Sacramento View Post
    You have a nice pilot's watch from the mid-1930s. I can see it will be difficult to stop calling them "1928 pattern" watches. They were common to many air forces, so where you bought it might be a clue to its first wearer.

    It seems regrettable that former images have now disappeared. My experience is that these started with large, extended crown arrangements and as the thirties approached 1940, more normal crowns were used.

    As for dating, see if others agree. If the caseback is nickel-chrome, then it dates closer to 1935. If the caseback is stainless steel/staybrite, then closer to 1940.
    My Zenith Special movement date August 1,1931 the case seems stainless was wondering how you came to the conclusion when nickel-chrome and stainless case date of manufacture ? Maybe it's how cheap the watch co is when choosing a case.
    Last edited by river rat; 07-11-2017 at 09:27.

  5. #5

    Default

    It's just a working hypothesis based on the examples in my collection and maybe extrapolating too much from the Breitlings. The earlier ones with "Montbrillant" on the dial have nickel-chrome backs. The later ones with "Breitling" on the dial have steel backs. It would be good to learn more.
    Bill in Sacramento

  6. #6

    Default

    Many thanks gentlemen for all this valuable information. The field of watch collecting, and in particular that of military watches, is a never ending learning process. I will have a look at the case back and try to find a suitable crown for it. As for its origin I bought it in France... I doubt that it could be linked to the French pre WW2 air force, but of course that is just a hunch. I see it better being worn on the wrist of some WW2 Luftwaffe pilot or air crew.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
    Antoine, you usually post thumbnails but these won't open up for me.

    looks like the wrong image codes..

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Nice watch. This looks to me a bit like a Revue/Zentra movement from the early 1930's but some higher resolution pictures would be great.

  9. #9

    Default

    I have a funny feeling saying that the watch is a put together.
    A genuine Revue pilot should look like this. http://www.chrono24.de/revuethommen/...-id5494346.htm
    The mixture of dial and hands from the 40-th and case from the 30-th makes me suspicious.
    Regards,

  10. #10
    Member Grentch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    My Zenith Special movement date August 1,1931 the case seems stainless was wondering how you came to the conclusion when nickel-chrome and stainless case date of manufacture ? Maybe it's how cheap the watch co is when choosing a case.
    My Zenith centre seconds example has a nickel chrome case(looks like over brass) and the caseback is quite pitted in places. The lugs are steel as is the front bezel(s). All the other Zenith "pilots" of that era I've owned or handled were plated cases.
    Careful now....

  11. #11
    Senior Member river rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montana USA
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    Here is my case back. Seems like a lot of them are pitted to hell were you see the brass coming through the plated case. Mine none and the case back does have wear around the knuckle edge. So I thought stainless through out ?


  12. #12

    Default

    Here I go again wtith the photos. I hope I won't mess up.



    OK! Nice. It works!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by east Al View Post
    I have a funny feeling saying that the watch is a put together.
    A genuine Revue pilot should look like this. http://www.chrono24.de/revuethommen/...-id5494346.htm
    The mixture of dial and hands from the 40-th and case from the 30-th makes me suspicious.
    Regards,
    Again, I am no expert on German watches, or on any watches for that matter, but the cases are identical, the dials near identical, only the hands are really different. Later replacements? I think you can not really say it is a put together, but perhaps a watch that had hands and crown changed because of loss or damage. What do you think?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Nice watch. This looks to me a bit like a Revue/Zentra movement from the early 1930's but some higher resolution pictures would be great.
    High resolution, or larger images, uploaded. Thank you.

  15. #15
    Senior Member foilguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,084

    Default

    Same as the one got In Prague. Same movement as a vertex www. I'll have to repost due to PB.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks, very clear now. I'm no expert but I'd say it's this movement, which may be from the '40s. That said, I'll leave it to the real experts to sort out. I think it looks great and I'd be happy to have it .


  17. #17
    Member pilotswatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Here is my Revue with its imperfections: hands, crown



    Most of these watches were chrome plated , some had stainless steel backs and very few were all stainless steel.
    Here is picture of my Avis Special with a stainless back.


  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I think it looks great and I'd be happy to have it .
    Are you interested in it? I'd be happy to sell it to you. How about € 500? + shipping

    Oh, by the way I confirm that the case back is stainless steel and not chromed.

  19. #19
    Senior Member foilguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,084

    Default

    he is mine re-posted:






  20. #20
    Member pilotswatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Real nice Paul , thanks for re-posting pictures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •