Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rare special holy grail got to have to mortgage the wife!

A photograph of a 13e RDP Auricoste on the wrist of a 1980 RDP soldier on a combat mission. I'd sell her into slavery

Or a Navy Seals Tudor Sub with documented Olongapo. I'd even deliver her

A non-lume Lemania RN that served aboard HMS Conqueror in the South Atlantic.....

If not that, then something with documented wrist time at Boscome Down, Bedford or Farnborough during the 50s or 60s, the golden age of British test flying.

NASA Issued Speedmaster!

A Grail is supposed to be something that overrides everything. Meaning that you'd give up all you have to get it or them or whatever it is. A Singer 1911A1? A nugget the size of your fist? My brother's friend bought a TR-900 for $10 at a garage sale in Washington, that's a grail?? I don't know, I'd like a Patek repeater in 18K, a Movado World time. Years ago a guy gave me a genuine Alain Silberstein that he found on the road. This was when these watches were going for $1000s. His rich pal had trouble with it and took it off his wrist and threw it out the window of his car. Toss a $5K watch out the window?? What's his grail?

Default Is it the Holy Grail or the Questing Beast...?

This an interesting question that is very individualized. I have been collecting for 29 years and there have been many grails I have pursued. I have been lucky enough to find a few. Though at the end of the day, I think our pursuit is more like King Pellinore and his fabled Questing Beast. It is after all the thrill of the hunt and all that it entails, including returning time and time again to this forum, that drives us all. So whether it is a grail or beast, I suspect we all enjoy the hunt...Joe A.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    A photograph of a 13e RDP Auricoste on the wrist of a 1980 RDP soldier on a combat mission. I'd sell her into slavery

Auriscoste remind me a Brel Manta , pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
    This an interesting question that is very individualized. I have been collecting for 29 years and there have been many grails I have pursued. I have been lucky enough to find a few. Though at the end of the day, I think our pursuit is more like King Pellinore and his fabled Questing Beast. It is after all the thrill of the hunt and all that it entails, including returning time and time again to this forum, that drives us all. So whether it is a grail or beast, I suspect we all enjoy the hunt...Joe A.

I take of my hat to you sir , sooo well said , the thrill of the hunt

Yes,the thrill of the hunt is a geeat sensation, so is the satisfaction of owning. Oh no, I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotswatch View Post
    Yes,the thrill of the hunt is a great sensation, so is the satisfaction of owning. Oh no, I said it.
    I'll have to check my spelling before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I'd love a Lemania 817 SwAF Viggen, but I've given up on this one as the value has reached astronomic heights (for me at least). Surprised no one's mentioned it yet, though.

Myron
    I agree with your pick. I think it still can be found for a price... What was the result at watchesofknightsbridge?

My special holy grail a Royal Australian Navy Lemania 5100.

Which I do have your Olongapo/Tudor grail, but it is/was also my grail too. With the way of how a lot of these watches have been selling, I've pondered briefly on occasion of selling it, but just can't.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim(PMWF) View Post
    Which I do have your Olongapo/Tudor grail, but it is/was also my grail too. With the way of how a lot of these watches have been selling, I've pondered briefly on occasion of selling it, but just can't.

Tim
    I'll put lipstick on the wife, would that help?

S

Hell, if this is a "holy grail", how about a pocket watch made by Robert Hooke of the Royal Society circa 1600s? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by enochRoot View Post
    Hell, if this is a "holy grail", how about a pocket watch made by Robert Hooke of the Royal Society circa 1600s? ;-)
    I'm always tempted by these too, but it's getting very difficult to find parts for Mr. Hooke's movements these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I'm always tempted by these too, but it's getting very difficult to find parts for Mr. Hooke's movements these days.
    Have you tried Cousins:lol

That's a beauty Lambstew!

Seiji about Your Wife...

What will You give me for 2 REP 1978 in Zaire? :-)

source: Współczesna Wojna Lądowa, David Miller, Christopher F. Foss; Warszawa, 1994, p. 199

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pietras View Post
    Seiji about Your Wife...

What will You give me for 2 REP 1978 in Zaire? :-)

source: Współczesna Wojna Lądowa, David Miller, Christopher F. Foss; Warszawa, 1994, p. 199
    I see a chronograph with a black dial and inner chronograph track similar to the Auricoste. And, a radio operator. I see a French beret with a military emblem similar to a French style. The 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment (French: 2e Régiment étranger de parachutistes, 2e REP)
    Thanks for this image. We have support for the claims that radio operators used chronographs.
    Nice find! Well, I'm in a generous mood, if you promise to feed her...

PS: Got all excited for a second. This shows it was common for French Radio operators to have chronographs. Thanks!

Last edited by Seiji; 07-24-2017 at 07:52.

Well for me a "grail" watch isn't one that overrides all other desires in life, simply a most desired piece in watch collecting. So I'm not willing to trade any living relatives for this grail watch but perhaps everything else...

Vacheron & Constantin Aviators thigh watch; made in 1903 by Dayton watchsmith for Wright Brothers. Currently in VC collection but who knows maybe more than one was made!

photo credit Paul Boutros, VC Musee Geneve