Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare special holy grail got to have to mortgage the wife!

Default Rare special holy grail got to have to mortgage the wife!

Hi all. I don't that often pop up with just a question. Within the remit of our addiction how often have I heard someone say I just have to have that one. But then what? So what super desirable rare unobtainable pieces are we lying awake at night dreaming of finding at the local bootfair? And just how many come into that category? I would like to hear of a very small number. Ciao Ian.

For me rarity always trumps everything else. Prototypes, one-offs, or sole known examples are where it's at. So I don't really know what my grails are, but I'll tell you if I ever find one The only one I know I'm looking for is a W10 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

What are yours Ian ?

sorry! bro i would sell ya out for a 5517 sub.............issued big crown sub

rolex panerai or big seikosha...............

Mark L

Probably the Universal Geneve split seconds CAIRELLI...

I once desired an original Blancpain air Command but that desire has waned now. I would still like a 1988 CWC SBS!

it's going to have to be the elusive W10 BP FF DS for me as well..

damn, that's two that we need now!

If you're talking not just mil watches..I used to dream about selling my children for a glossy dial gilt era Rolex sub and a few years ago I sacrificed some a chunk of mil watches out of my collection to make that happen.. My 1962 5512 PCG came indirectly from the original owner and has CDN provenance which I was looking for.. Of course it's only on loan till my kids start uni but it's a bloody nice thing to have and all the dreaming and scheming was worth it.. just an excuse to try out Imgur..

What else but a Tornek TR-900.

I use to think the Tornek TR-900 at one time. But what it's worth these days I would be scared to wear it I think I am happy with 10 or more lower priced vintage watches were you can wear them and if you mess it up were it's needs to be repaired you all ways got another to wear. Ever notice your grail changes through the years I remember my first a Eterna Kontiki Super IDF and then there was another not long after. Right now I am happy with the collection I mite be done. I think the word grail is over used on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JPTHUNDER View Post
    Probably the Universal Geneve split seconds CAIRELLI...
    Oh, yes!

I think the word grail is over used on the forums.
    An interesting one Mike. I tend to agree. For me Grail's change as my understanding of collecting deepens. It all seems a matter of perspective. Some watches have even become grail's, when a few years earlier they where just harder to get hold of. Some grail's i've even owned, though sadly no longer.

Whats a grail. Oxford dictionary says: A thing which is eagerly pursued or sought after.

There is no doubt the list to compile every one's grail would likely be as long as your arm.

I think rather than grail, there are a few watches that i'd just bloody love to own.

Jus one: Smiths Mk X

I've got or had or gone off pretty much everything else I've ever wanted, feel like I'm kind of complete or at least replete, at least for now (!)

I'm trying to enjoy the ones I've got: wear them, appreciate them, keep them serviced and used.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I read on here that someone in the British forces was issued a Rolex GMT master (possibly James K?). I have never heard of one, nor seen one anywhere else. I don't even know which branch it would have been issued to. That would be a real end game piece for me particularly if it had a circle T dial and case markings (again I have no idea if this was the case). Has anyone else heard of such a thing existing?

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I read on here that someone in the British forces was issued a Rolex GMT master...
    Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    The days of the GMT in British service are long gone, and missed. The team leaders and fire control officers of the commando 148 battery used to get GMT's but no longer. NGS are on the edge of being SF, they get the tasks but not the extra funding...
    actually the other watch that I would like is one of those elusive MoD Speedmasters..

I agree with River Rat. I tend to get a bit too protective with my watches if the value gets too high and I don't enjoy wearing them. Especially because I have two young kids. Perhaps when they get older my tastes will change again...

Even my less expensive watches get a break on the weekend and I strap on the Citizen Dive watch for going to the park/pool with the kids.

One of these would be nice to have...Even if I would be scared to wear it outside my home. My "precious".

I'd love a Lemania 817 SwAF Viggen, but I've given up on this one as the value has reached astronomic heights (for me at least). Surprised no one's mentioned it yet, though.

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by pilotswatch View Post
    One of these would be nice to have...Even if I would be scared to wear it outside my home. My "precious".
    That ck2042 would be one of mine, alongside a bezeled (mk 9 informal) iwc pilot watch.

I am with Mryon

Cool

Chronosport UDT what ever the model