Thread: Smiths speedos

Default Smiths speedos

Vincent 5" Smiths 150 MPH Speedometer HRD, Vincent Black Shadow

Winning bid: 1,999.00 GBP - 14 bids

NEW !! Original Smiths 150MPH VINCENT HRD BLACK SHADOW SPEEDO NOS Chronometric

Winning bid: 1,442.65 GBP - 3 bids

Wow, big money for speedos. Who knew? If they are specific / unique to the Black Shadow then I can understand some of the value, on the other hand how many of this bikes are there out there? Can't be a big market. Best bikes ever though, really fantastic.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I was quite happy with a bog-standard Chronometric on my Panther 120 and Land Rover 2ltr diesel - watching the needle literally 'tick' its way to... 'Honest Officer!' From memory the Vincent was a larger diameter.

Smiths produced 40,000+ speedos a week. Each speedo was bench tested for 3 to 5 miles. The speedo was accurate to 1% but while it must never under-read against the dial, it could over-read up to 10%. Legend has it the dial was positioned as the car/motorcycle maker wanted, but within the lawful 10% error, so a Royal Enfield doing 70 would be seen to go faster than a BSA doing 70! Police speedos were to a maximum 2% error - and road tested using a Smiths stop-watch. (Many Police forces used Smith's 'A.T' magnetic induction speedos.

Chronometrics would easily last 200,000+ miles (an early Nemag magnetic induction, 80,000+). Smiths' own testbed record was 800,000 miles nonstop on a Chrono, only beaten by a Nemag in 1977 which was graciously retired in 1977 at 1,000,000 miles! (see my 'Golden Years').

Barry

ARIEL SQUARE 4 SMITHS 100 MPH PA SPEEDOMETER

Sold for: 950.00 GBP - Buy It Now