Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mil Watch Photobucket Drama!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbby View Post

"Cloud Computing Will Cause 'Horrible Problems In The Next Five Years'" -- Dated Aug. 6, 2012

Pretty much down to the day. (Well, a month out, so what?)
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

test

Ok, some only are hostaged. Don't know if it's them, more probable than an attack. Criminal behavior anyway.

I even can't download all, there's some catchpa i never see even with ie.

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet -

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet

photobuckey self destructed

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet -

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet
    the comments below the article say it all -- no notice period and a crazy amount. If they'd given 90 days warning and made the fee $5 pcm I bet we'd all have paid up. Not now. This is suicide.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I have been back to PB today and it has changed: there is now a clear link on the support page: "My Account has been restricted due to 3rd party hosting".

Click through to their "competitive Subscription plans" and sure enough, 3rd party hosting is only available for $399.99 a year.

So, Photobucket kicking the bucket.

Only a matter of time before photobucket goes the way of the Dodo bird extinct taking our photo's with it good riddance to photobucket.

I'm sure that they have analyzed the data, factored in the loss of some accounts and estimated how many folks will pay the premium. Only time will tell if they have set the price correctly or not.

For way less than $400 you could get your own domain and web hosting. One that starts with 'Go' always have offers for $1/month (up to 12 months) with a free domain. After that it's $4/mo plus $15/yr domain renewal. Use filezilla to upload and you are good to go.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

OK, so following Dave's leads, I am now on Imgur. Pretty straightforward, easy interface, lets see if this embedding works - should be my JLC Mark XI

BINGO!!!

This photobucket thing has made a lot of image dependent threads absolutely useless. I would be willing to edit some of my old posts to change the image links so that they work again, but of course there are no edit rights on these old posts.

What do the mods think about trying to fix the mess. Is it possible to grant edit rights to members who request it for a few days, so that they can clean up some of the mess ? Otherwise I suppose we could post a new message at the end of each thread full of images, but the connection between post no. and image would be lost.

Lets give Imgur this ago then......
    [IMG][/IMG]
    A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

On imgur you point the mouse on the photo on the right hand corner a link copy and arrow pops up hit the arrow then hit shared link hit BBCode for forum for copy then paste it like photobucket in your post. Just make sure the album photo's are hidden for privacy . Sending photo to Imgur sure different and easy you drag the photo to Imgur for down load they got a little cartoon you can't mess up.
    Last edited by river rat; 07-02-2017 at 04:05.

Mine still seems to be working, at least for things I've previously posted. So their application if this policy doesn't seem to be universal?

Two hours ago mine still worked, no probleme yet.

I was surfing last night on the internet on boat and gun forums and it seems like 30% of photo content has been erased.

I was talking to a Portuguese friend on Skype last nicht, he's a big collector of IWC watches, he couldn't get into his account, but all his pictures are still up.
    So either they are taking their time, or there is a criteria (maybe country specific?) for not having your pictures imposed with the 3.party image.
    Last edited by papazulu; 07-02-2017 at 05:15.
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

it's quite disheartening..

there are lots of excellent threads here now with swathes of images missing.

however not all photobucket linked threads are affected as of yet.

there are currently no problems with many.

there are certainly criteria in place -

probably regular access and usage and the amount of data stored.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    it's probably best not to delele your account because if your album setting is public all you need to do is to click onto the missing image in your post and the link will take you directly to that image in your photobucket album for anyone to view...
    okay this is slow and a real pain but better than nought.

here are some examples from Mike and Joe A -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...his-is-a-knife

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...4903-Depollier

click onto one of the images in the original posts..

however the whole episode is a complete mess; perhaps things will sort themselves out!

Dave, I clicked on both and sure enough, it took me to their respective PB acounts, but...all I could see was the 3.party speedo
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill