Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mil Watch Photobucket Drama!!!!

Default Mil Watch Photobucket Drama!!!!

Hi there, I have been trying to update my photobucket settings as requested by them. Basically if you look back at certain posts on this forum, a "speedo" image pops up and says please update photobucket setting to enable 3rd party hosting. I have been on the site, followed instructions, pressed album privacy to "make public" several times, got the thumbs up image, but then nothing happens. I then noted that this settings change does not affect "my bucket", so I started a new album called "Mil Watches", transferred some shots across, re upped the images, set all setting to "Make public", then got some really odd error message. Even when it says the album is public, I still get the "speedo" image when posting up on the forum. Anyone out there got any ideas??? See below...

They sent me an email with this text:

Your account has been restricted for 3rd party hosting.
    Don't worry, your photos are safe.
    In order to restore 3rd Party Hosting,
    please upgrade to our Plus 500 Membership.

Plus 500 Membership costs 400 USD per year.

If they want to charge for new images that's fine, but doing it retrospectively is like blackmail.
    They can stick it where the sun don't shine.

I got the same email; I think it's spam unrelated to PB. When I hovered my cursor over the links and email address they looked dodgy.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I got the same email; I think it's spam unrelated to PB. When I hovered my cursor over the links and email address they looked dodgy.
    You might be right, but even if you go to Photobucket directly (not through the email links), and you click on the plan options, you can see now that the free option and the cheapest cost option allow "No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting". And the evidence is here and on other forums, where photos have disappeared and been replaced by the speedo image. Photobucket was a necessary evil recently (since the pop-ups got out-of-hand), but if they want to charge me they can take a running jump....

Phew, it's a speedometer image, not a dude in a speedo.

Some years ago your photo's would disappear due to band width the more people look at your photo's on line the more band width used. But if you paid the yearly fee it would not happen. I thought they stopped it I guess photobucket back to there old tricks. Mite be time to shop around for another photo hosting site. The band width story was what was going around at the time but this looks different.

I read this on another forum photobucket holding your photo's for ransom they will be released if you pay a ransom of $400.00 bucks WTF

"A few days ago, without any advance warning, Photobucket sneakily changed its terms of service to disallow third-party hosting, or hotlinking, on nearly all of its plan tiers. Most people use Photobucket explicitly for the ability to link from images on Photobucket to other locations such as blogs and forums, so this seems like a baffling move.

Until you realize the scam that's afoot: The only way to get your images to show up again is to pay Photobucket $400, upfront, as an annual subscription to its most expensive plan.

Ah, I see. It's a ransom demand......Well, at least I could get my images off Photobucket, right? Nope. You heard me. I can't get my own photos off Photobucket. A decade's worth of blog photos are being held hostage."

I'm pissed! Photobucket has ruined my posts! Only a bunch of speedo images now...

Same here...are they crazy, thats the best way to loose your "customers" ?
    Only yesterday, after a very long abstinance, I wrote an article on a German board, loaded my pictures up as usual, only to find this today. Has anyone found a way of getting ones own pictures back, as I want out of there double quick?
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The sneaky baskets have updated their terms and conditions...
    Photobucket.com Terms of Use

Last revised June 28, 2017

Thank you for visiting Photobucket.com (the "Site"), operated by Photobucket.com, Inc. ("Photobucket" or " we" or "us"). Please carefully read these Terms of Use ("Terms") so you understand how we operate this Site, what we can offer and how we can work together. Please also read our Privacy Policy and Copyright and IP Policy. By using the Site and the Photobucket Services (even if you're just visiting), you are agreeing to the Terms and Privacy Policy posted at the time of your visit.

About Us ....
    http://photobucket.com/terms

I've got thousands of photos there, but I will not be blackmailed!

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

just downloaded all my pics. Will re-host them somewhere else.

I see possible lawsuits. Members should have a grace period to remove images if they don't wish to pay, but to just say pay or you can't get your images is blackmail and theft.

I see a class action lawsuit in their future

DON

Paul how did you get your photo's off photobucket I thought they had that blocked I read on another forum.

Worst case, screen capture the images.

This isn't affecting all sites. OmegaForums must be copying locally to their site or something. Images have not been blocked there. I hope MWR has created a recent archive CD. I'm hoping to buy one now.

Imgur more easy than photobucket even figured how it works faster than I did with photobucket a test just do a hidden album so you only see your stuff on imgur and forums when you post photo's.

Time to move. They must not be making enough money or just stupid. Either way, time to move! Hope they feel the mass exit!

River rat - that's the way.
    I tried numerous ways (originally tried FotoPhucket but no go)

Well I paid photobucket a few times when they used band width but the fee was cheap but even when I paid they would F%$^ up with bad service so stopped paying until my photo's came back. If any one pays 400 bucks your crazy because the service sooner or later will be screwed up and money flushed down the toilet. They even started blasting every one with ads so you would pay for ad free since the band width bull crap did not work I used ad blocker and stopped that crap well it was a good free ride for as long as I been posting on the internet they did get paid by me a few times but 400 bucks is out of the question. Been wanting to go to another photo sharing site for a while this just forced me to.

All this time, stuck with them so I wouldn't leave broken link trash all over the internet. So many times wanted to reorganize my library to make photos easier to find, but again didn't want to break all the links. Didn't think Photobucket would be the one to bend me over the couch.