Thread: An Evening with the Smiths ‘Military Mk10’

Default An Evening with the Smiths ‘Military Mk10’

An Evening with the Smiths ‘Military Mk10’, hosted by Owen Gilchrist, AHS wristwatch group

Wednesday 28 June 19:00
    at The Clockworks, 6 Nettlefold Place, London SE27 0JW

http://www.ahsoc.org/groups/wristwatch-group/

£60 yearly subscription to join the AHS

Cannot make it myself but guess it would be interesting to see what watches show up on the night

Regards
    Mr.H

^^

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    OK, good news: Just had this email --

"Hi Oliver,

Great to hear you're coming to the event on the 28th. I've also just had a phone call from Owen saying you would like to share information of the evening with some forum members. We'd be very happy for them to join us, and there is a version of the invite you can copy/paste available here: http://mailchi.mp/4bd7dacc36c7/wwg-m...-military-mk10

We should have space for about ten or so extra people - If they have any questions they can get in touch with me via wwg@ahsoc.org

Kind regards,
    James Harris"

The talk will, as I understand it, be a complete strip-down of an uncased Smiths Mk X movement done, I think, with a magnifier and projector so that everyone can follow every twist and turn of the plot / screwdriver.

It starts at 7pm on the 28th and is at The Clockworks Museum. N.B spaces are limited and you need to reserve your place. (It *might* be possible that this is videoed and uploaded to youtube or similar.)

It would be great to put faces to some of your names and see what you turn up with on your wrists -- although this is Sarf Lahdahn after dark so keep the bling to a minimum

Are we going to get in some fine English ales after this?

and please don't forget to mention The Vintage Smiths Forum..

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    Are we going to get in some fine English ales after this?
    this should be appropriate -

not that I'm in any way endorsing alcohol consumption..

Who's going? I'm planning on being there -- how many others?
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I will be there and so will my old watchmaking tutor who is into Smiths. I think everyone should bring along something Smiths-related to share!

Well, that was pretty sensational. So much information to digest.

We saw two Smiths COSDs side-by-side. And more than one Mk X movement. And some of the watches including the 6B/159 purchased at the recent auction.

I should have really made notes. The Mk X movement appears to have actually have been made for a centre-seconds watch. This led to a discussion that the Smiths 6B/159 movements were possibly converted to be Mk X (sub seconds) instead. Did Smiths have an issue with creating a centre-seconds movement? Even by the early 1950's they were concerned that they'd struggle to modify their existing sub-seconds movements to centre-seconds due to the additional load it would cause on the gear train (this was recorded being discussed with the MoS).

The build of the Mk X movement proved that several aspects of it's design are unique.

Great to meet you there last night Roddy. A good time was had by all!
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under £4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for £5. Recently their price seems to have risen to £8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Oh aye, was great to meet you too, Oliver. I was thinking to myself last night, wow, Ollie is a great speaker. And then I remembered what you do during the day!

Owen Gilchrist did a great job of explaining every minute detail and answering questions while simultaneously building the Mk X movement which is quite impressive. Not easy when twenty-odd people are looking at precisely what you are doing to an extremely rare movement.

Good to meet a few of you.

I thought Owen did an excellent job explaining not only what he was doing, but some of the controversies surrounding the Mark X. Even as a casual #watchnerd, it did feel a little like being thrown in at the deep end!

I'm hoping Owen's talk will be up online (maybe youtube?) sometime soon.