Thread: Amateur hour

Default Amateur hour

I went out to the only range we have left which is a poorly set up ranch field on some of the most expensive land on earth, Marin county. I just brought my 50s Pachmeyr Range box with attached Bushnell Sentry 20X scope along with my F.Bob Chow 45, my model 41 Smith .22 and my model 39A Smith 9mm. It was busy at the pistol side. I should have brought the AR and 30 Carbine or Garand and used the vacant 300 yd range, So I waited as the folks sat there shooting the shit out of every thing on the target frame or ground. It was frightening really. One guy was shooting a SIG 45 auto and every time he racked the slide he pointed it at his neighbor's midsection. Others were shooting the wrong targets, this is a 25 yard range for God's sake. The guy running the range would call a cease fire and a half dozen bozos would keep right on shooting. Another guy brought his entire family with cousins to all shoot his new 9mm. After 45 minutes someone ran out of ammunition and I had a spot to shoot. By then there was gale force winds right to left across the target. I'm a horrible shot with pistols but I did manage to poke a bunch of holes in the targets simply because they are such good pistols. When one guy decided to start shooting full power .357s through a 2" Colt, I packed it up and left. It's sad that there are so few kids or men with knowledge of firearms. Just a pack of bozos blazing away blissfully ignorant of safety or skill. They take a quiz that a dead man could pass, pay $25 and you are licensed to buy a gun. Good luck.

While AZ enjoys 2A freedoms that some states don't allow their citizens to partake in, it's a multi-edged sword and we certainly have our share of the same numb nuts as you experienced, possibly in greater numbers.
    Typically, we go out to a handful of different spots in the desert BLM land for some range time.
    One of the main concerns for many is that a lot of these morons fail to understand the importance of picking up rounds, paper targets, cans, bottles and other trash. They just don't seem to care that these areas could just as easily be shut down, forcing the avid enthusiasts to be relegated to indoor ranges.

Happy Snaps...

msa6712
    Z-7

We have a place like that up in Lake county. It is just a mess. Shot up tvs computers, anything else that would be fun to wreck. The whole state of Nevada used to be like that. abandoned cars, dryers etc. The cleaned it up and now it looks great. Problem with the situation is that you can't just walk up to a total stranger and start chewing him out about being a pig. The guy's got a gun and you don't argue with people when they are armed.
    Sig 1911? The Nagant is interesting and in fabulous shape. I understand that they will take 32 S&W long wadcutters? My son bought a Sig 1911 and it is a great pistol.
    D

Fewer men serve. Fewer men have real training. Fewer men are men.

While I own a few 1911's, the one in the pic is the Springfield Armory Operator in OD Green. I'd say it's on par with the Sigs and Kimber 1911's in the safe. The pair of Nagants are quirky shooters, 7.62x38 is their mainstay, but you are correct... they can shoot 32 S&W with mixed results.
    Several years ago, a local gun store had cases of wooden cased spam cans of 1970's era 7.62x38 for ~$75 a can (1092 rnds per can), I've got more than enough for my lifetime.
    The other guns shown are SW 642, Bulgarian Makarov (9x18), Beretta Nano and partially seen SW 686.
    msa6712
    Z-7

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Morritt View Post
    Amen to that one Drew. Safe rooms, puppies, bubbles, have replaced guns as recommended protection items. Now that gender has been eliminated from the picture what's a boy/girl/? to do?

Don't really know. Guess we'll find out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Morritt View Post
    Guys looking like lumberjacks, but just want to impress real lumberjacks.
    At least around here.