Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flyaway Smiths at Cotswold auction room today

the cosd cased smiths has a JLC mark 11 crown by the look of it

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    See that printed signature on the guarantee slip? Lot 385 in the auction had an actual tag signed by him. He was Edward ("Eddie") Holt the quality control manager and his brother was in charge of the main production building CH2.

Revo....

Signatures are interesting however my eyes were drawn towards a slightly more curvaceous aspect of the Smiths logo on the guarantee slip.!!

Reminds me of my beloved wife before we had the wee ones!!😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoria View Post
    the cosd cased smiths has a JLC mark 11 crown by the look of it
    Hard to tell for sure, but it does look like the smaller foilguy "issued size crown". I don't think anything
    smaller than a stop watch or pocket watch crown will go over the huge crown tube unless it was specifically made for it. I can't imagine a Mark 11 crown has any hope of fitting over a tube almost 6 mm in size.

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post

Revo....

Signatures are interesting however my eyes were drawn towards a slightly more curvaceous aspect of the Smiths logo on the guarantee slip.!!

Reminds me of my beloved wife before we had the wee ones!!����
    Yes that crown / coronet device does look like a fantastic pair of tits!

A subliminal appeal to our base nature (cf. Freud) or a bawdy joke in the best English tradition of saucy seaside postcards (cf. Donald McGill) in a line that stretches back to Chaucer?
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

^^^ Too much time spent by some of the employees hanging around the Ladies College?.....

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    ^^^ Too much time spent by some of the employees hanging around the Ladies College?.....
    My thoughts exactly...

🤣😂

Thanks for posting Dave..

Wasn't sure whether it was deemed appropriate!! I'm getting older and slightly more prudish!

I'm quite sure someone at SMITHS was having some fun..

I can vouch for the ladies at Cheltenham.
    They are delightful!!

And we're back to Adult Picture Hosting . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    Hard to tell for sure, but it does look like the smaller foilguy "issued size crown". I don't think anything
    smaller than a stop watch or pocket watch crown will go over the huge crown tube unless it was specifically made for it. I can't imagine a Mark 11 crown has any hope of fitting over a tube almost 6 mm in size.

I've had a close look and it appears the crown is the same as the remarked MOD dialled cosd's. Which in itselfis interesting.

I hope a full exposure gets posted online, very interested to see internal and further external shots

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    I hope a full exposure gets posted online, very interested to see internal and further external

shots
    I think we'd all be up for a full exposure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    And we're back to Adult Picture Hosting . . .
    okay this is just for Revo -

Wow, nice Copilot. But expensive for it's condition.

Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    I'm sure all will be revealed in due course: my personal highlight was an empty IWC Mark 11 case (1951 issue I think) with Bonklip attached unlike anything I've seen before - small extension link with at least another length added. Oh, and skinny width links. Could this have been the sample acquired by Smiths whilst they were building a 'Navigator' as mentioned in documents recently unearthed?

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

P.S. To whet the appetite:

P.P.S. (Below) I got a bit of smiths fatigue: the aficionados will report back. I don't think anything was overlooked.....! Except I think that box marked navigator was empty- stuff was scattered around the lots quite randomly.

Well, if anyone got their hands on that IWC Mark 11 case, I'm still looking for one!

Re the COSD crown: it was badly fitted and jammed from what I remember so it might be a red herring.
    Re the IWC case: I hope a picture of it emerges too because I believe it had THE original RAF Bonklip attached and it wasn't 17mm or like the commercial offerings either: double length for a start, with a solid extension link added.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

^^^ I'd also be very interested in seeing a picture of the IWC. The Mk 11 pic in the scanned page of Air Publication 112G-0815-1 showing the various issued Bonklips shows a skinny-linked version, but Mk 11s always seem to sit on wide links, which seems odd given that the Lemania is a much bigger watch and was issued on a narrow bracelet. I seem to remember that there was some talk a while back on here about an extra-length version to fit over a flying jacket sleeve, or am I wrong?

The Bonklip looked to be 10 or 12mm but with full length end pieces i.e. same width as the case's bars.

The extension piece was really something else, too.

A member here has it but it's for him to show and share, or not, as he wishes. I think it went for 650 (??) but seeing as I think he has the movement to go in it and is a nice bloke then I think it's definitely gone to a good home. It occurred to me that maybe it had once been in the box marked "Navigator" but we'll never know.

Personally I'd like to have popped a Quasar in the case and called it the Q-XI . . .

Anyway last night was the first time in two weeks' that I haven't dreamt about ultra rare prototype Smiths in a tiny provincial auction. Instead of dreamed of Cheltenham Ladies' College girls in jodhpurs . . . .

Isn't it time we had another one of the IDF Women With Watches thread? ("I think she's wearing a G-shock, I can just about make out the strap through her clothes . . . ")

Ah, I'm glad it sent to someone on here. If they're willing to share some pics, I'm sure there's more than a few of us interested. :-)

As for the rest of the auction, if, as someone suggested earlier, there was a sizeable chunk of the Smiths R&D department inventory on offer, I find it a little sad that it has all been split up. Whilst I realise that the whole process must have started back in the '70s, it does seem a shame that these kinds of things cannot be kept together in some way, particularly in this case when it was the country's last (only?) volume manufacturer.

Now, back on to jodhpurs.....