Thread: Memorial day not a day for BQ and a day off

Default Memorial day not a day for BQ and a day off

Memorial not for BQ and just a day off. It's to remember Veterans that did not make it home or ones that did make it back and had good life's until they past. Before I joined the Navy all I thought was it was a day to BQ get drunk and high and a day off then I learned what it was all about when I joined the service. The other day my post 65 of the American Legion and the Local VFW put flags on all the veterans graves and got to do it for my Dads grave this is what Memorial day all about. One veterans grave did not have a grave stone just a piece of paper on a stick and he was buried a few years ago dam I am thinking of buying the stone my self it kind of pissed me off any veteran gets a free stone from the Govt. if you put in the paper work I hate lazy family members that don't give a shit. And that tattered American flag on the flag pole we took it down and a new flag getting put on today. And to day I think of BM2 Kellywood some one I took there duty and stood his watch so he could go out in town when our ship was in the Philippines were the next day he was found with his neck broke and floating in shit river to this day I have guilt would he be alive today if I did not take his duty day veterans even die in peace .

My Dads grave.

And cool video for Memorial day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_RqNy-qEs

One of my close friends was killed in a car wreck a few years back. His wife asked me to take care of ordering the government headstone. They are Brass/bronze. I asked them to put 50th Infantry on it which was his outfit in the war. They just couldn't take the time I guess. It just said SGT Vietnam. I would feel pretty bad as well about some Vet with a paper grave marker. I'd bet that a letter to your congressman would get that taken care of and give this guy the proper respect he's due.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    One of my close friends was killed in a car wreck a few years back. His wife asked me to take care of ordering the government headstone. They are Brass/bronze. I asked them to put 50th Infantry on it which was his outfit in the war. They just couldn't take the time I guess. It just said SGT Vietnam. I would feel pretty bad as well about some Vet with a paper grave marker. I'd bet that a letter to your congressman would get that taken care of and give this guy the proper respect he's due.
    I was thinking of that just mite take a photo of that grave with out the proper marker and send a email with it to the congressman and both senators.

That is sad. If you decide to get one let me know I'm in. My dad lost all his WWII items in a fire after the war. Years later I contacted one of out US Senators (Kay Bailey Hutchinson) to be exact. They got right on it and within a month he got all his medals, papers all in cases....Worth a try...

RR, your local VFW vet rep should be able to assist in requesting a grave stone marker:

http://www.military.com/benefits/bur...d-markers.html

Also, here's the information needed for requesting replacement medals and military records:

And, just in case you require assistance with your own affairs, eBenefits is for the veterans usage:

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage
    msa6712
    Z-7

Took my brother over to Belgrade MT to MT veterans affairs for some thing and ask about this you can't do any thing with out the relatives permission I did point it out to the leader of the local VFW who was also doing flags that day so maybe he can get in touch with the relatives and get the ball rolling. You know what sucks if the kids hate there Dad enough there can be a piece of paper on your grave as a vet nothing the VA can do about putting a stone on your grave with out there permission a crock of shit. We were talking that's how the law works hopefully not in this case. Remember don't piss off your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by msa6712 View Post
    RR, your local VFW vet rep should be able to assist in requesting a grave stone marker:

Also, here's the information needed for requesting replacement medals and military records:

And, just in case you require assistance with your own affairs, eBenefits is for the veterans usage:

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

"Remember don't piss off your kids."

So true...
    One of my dads friends/neighbors was a retired O6, USAF pilot, WW2/Korea/Vietnam era, etc...
    He had been married a couple of times and had kids from the first one, but not the second. His second wife preceded him in death and when it was his time to go his kids treated him terrible. I remember after he died his kids were cleaning out the house to put it on the market. They threw away his military awards, decorations, plaques, military photographs, albums, uniform items and any other items they felt were worthless. My dad talked to the kids and told them the importance of their fathers role during his time in service. They weren't the least bit interested, so he went through the garbage bins gathering up as much as possible to take to the local VFW Post. They were interested and put some of his stuff on display including some photos and his Bronze Star. Pretty sad state of affairs and actions from his kids, they were pissed at him for divorcing their mom and marrying the second wife.
    msa6712
    Z-7

That's incredibly sad. The records, awards and decorations should remain within the family. The reality is that not all marriages work, but that should not detract from the what the parties accomplished.

There was recently a close bereavement in my family. My father and I went through a lot of things that were up in the loft and one large envelope contained documentation relating to my maternal grandmother's brother who died (officially MPK - Missing Presumed Killed) on Nov 24th 1941. It included his posthumously awarded Atlantic Star medal. I believe that he was the last male of that particular branch of the family and there is importance in remembering him. All of this documentation will be handed down to my sons and I hope that they will treat it with respect.

Maybe one day I will research the Wainright/Woodmansey side of the family tree.

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing. BBQ's weekend trips (vacation type) etc. Sure there are many cities who place out flags ect, and even have ceremonies. But the bulk of the population that has not served or knows no one who has, and has fallen in battle the national holiday is lost on them. It is perhaps not their fault though. Patriotism and the rememberence of the fallen usually is close to the families of those fallen hero's of our great country. I suspect there many families paying respects and I know surviving veterans feel nothing but blessed and possible a little guilt on this day.

There are two generations of kids who made eating a hobby. Times were never tough and everyone got a trophy. Of course they don't give a shit about the country or the people that made it great. They don't read so the only history they've ever learned is in movies. Blame the schools and the parents with a cell phone stuck up their ass who let the schools major in politics.

If its not an iphone, its worthless to them. I am very sick of this.

Well I went back to the cemetery got the vet's name and did a search of the last name in the local phone book nothing. Then did a search of the net found the obituary and it said he died when living at Alamogordo New Mexico and was brought to Ennis MT to be buried and the funeral date if you wanted to attend. Nothing on family or military service like nothing. I know some of you are good at tracking down military service from names on the back of watches any one want to help send me a PM and I will give the name and date of birth and date of death and above is all the info I know. If there is no relatives and get more info on his military service I mite be able to get one of MT senators to do the rest of the work.

I thought would do a update about what happened to the unmarked veterans grave with nothing but a paper marker on Memorial day when putting flags on veterans graves. I got in contact with the guy who does maintenance of the grave yard he was his neighbor who got me in contact with a cousin who told me of a sister who from two other people I heard would be no help. And the cousin cared but not a relative in the eyes of the government. I contacted a senator in MT no help a waist of time. The wife has Alzheimer's heard the relatives took every thing the wife was put away don't even know if she is alive. Well me and Lee a friend in the American Legion took a look at the paper maker and saw the funeral home that took care of the funeral. A few months ago I call the local one with no luck since they did not do the funeral wished I would of thought about looking at that marker. Two heads are better than one so call the right one and they had his tomb stone . Been sitting for two years the family did not want to pay to have the stone mounted on the grave. I ask what it would cost $380.00 I said get it done so this week this Korean war US Army veteran will have a stone a vet should not be forgotten it's like being left behind on the battle field. Glad to get it done before Montana winter hits and it would of had to wait another year. With all the hate and no patriotism in the USA this type of shit makes me sick. I know more people who never served in the military than I know who served. When growing up every ones Dad was a WW2 vet. Tell you that 380.00 out of my pocket kind of makes me fill good hope I am not forgotten when I bite the dust.
    Last edited by river rat; 08-28-2017 at 13:24.

Good on you for ensuring the proper head stone was placed.
    I wonder if the local VFW, DAV, American Legion, etc... doesn't have a slush fund to offset fund those elements that fall in between the bureaucratic cracks...
    msa6712
    Z-7

Good on you River Rat. I think I recall that you are a vet as well, thanks for your service and goodwill to another vet.

Quote Originally Posted by msa6712 View Post
    Good on you for ensuring the proper head stone was placed.
    I wonder if the local VFW, DAV, American Legion, etc... doesn't have a slush fund to offset fund those elements that fall in between the bureaucratic cracks...
    I belong to the local American Legion. It died out for a few years and we just got it going again in the last few years. There not many a real small group of 5-6 active members there's a lot more but they pay dues and never show up. We sold beer and water at the local rodeo this year only a 300 buck profit so money wise my post don't have a pot to piss in when it comes to money. I don't do parades so I bought the flags they march with in those the older guys like doing that those flags were not cheap when you buy them out of the American legion catalog . Why I use my own money. For getting that stone set the VA does cover 100 bucks for setting stone when you use a none government VA cemetery but since I am doing this on my own only a funeral home can only apply for it . That 100 bucks don't even cover it the cheap government bastards.

Good on ya’ Rat!

Well it done

Before how long do you think it would take to become a unmarked grave

They were setting it after I paid the 380.00 so took a photo of it in the truck. You can tell he did Combat purple heart in Korea. Korea was a forgotten war and this guy was forgotten in death. You see all the hate in our country today were they forget our veterans. You see dumb shits march with NAZI flags a enemy were 400 thousand Americans died in WW2 and that's OK and it's now OK to Forget the veterans that were willing to give there's lives for our country some times I am really disappointed in the USA today a country of crack pots. Glad I care more about this country than most or I would not of done this. We really should bring the draft back were every body has to serve and no free ride to the rich they got to go to war to were the military taught me to be prouder of the American flag that a piece of shit NAZI flag. I saw that purple heart and I just got pissed he deserved more than what he got. I really think if every body served in the military due to a draft people just mite get along congress worked together after WW2 why they served together in WW2. And stuff like this mite not happen were a veteran don't get forgotten.
    Last edited by river rat; 09-01-2017 at 15:37.

Good Job!
    How appropriate that you started this thread on Memorial weekend and ended it on Labor Day weekend.
    msa6712
    Z-7