Thread: Vintage three hand Breitling (could be non military)...

Default Vintage three hand Breitling (could be non military)...

Good evening everyone,

Could it be, that this watch has some military provenance?

There are no military markings at all on the case and inner+outer caseback, but the coat of arms on the dial could maybe suggest something else...

What do you think?

https://www.fr.ricardo.ch/acheter/mo...v/an910762944/

Best,

Yuriae

Default images

I lean to it not being a Breitling at all. A pretty thing and I wonder what it reads, but I don't believe it is original.

[Note to file: there are several cottage industries churning out bogus time-only Breitlings. Many are nice quality, but still wrong.]
    Bill in Sacramento

Thanks for having uploaded the pictures right into the post, dave.

I'm not at all a Breitling guy and therefore don't know much - besides their iconic Navitimer line and some of their "Top-Times" - about what they used to produce in the past. Therefore and like Bill in Sacramento says, this piece also could be a total franken.

The serial number does date the watch to 1950 and the movement and case design is consistent with Breitling pieces from that era. The dial is very well done but would be very unusual to find in a Breitling 3-hand this early. That being said I've seen plenty of this style watch created specifically for middle eastern rulers over the years usually as presentation pieces by Rolex, Omega, and many others. I would have to think twice about buying it because it's authenticity would always be in question without documented provenance. Perhaps a translation of the dial would help clarify things.

I think the Breitling's casebacks usually show a model number.

A couple of similarish dials from Richter

But my gut insitinct on it is still redial, but hard to say without much better resolution pics.

Quote Originally Posted by polo2 View Post
    I think the Breitling's casebacks usually show a model number.
    Not 100% of the time. The style of the back in addition to the two digit number above the serial number would be consistent with some 1970 pieces from Breitling and that would make more sense with the custom dial.

I don't read Arabic but looking at the higher res image on the Ricardo site, the green flags, palm tree and swords look very similar to the emblems of Saudi Arabia.

The top line says "al-ghabbashi" which is a family name (the line below it says "mecca" which is a city), and the third line of calligraphic arabic text at the bottom says "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."

I googled the name of the family and got some information; apparently the family is one of the prominent and oldest families in the city of Mecca. The internet says their family traces their blood line all the way to Imam Ali (shia muslims).
    Last edited by CameraJoe; 05-25-2017 at 02:02.

Thank you very much for your inputs, guys.

Regarding the dial, could it be that it was custom made, but not by Breitling (by a retailer? a watchmaker in Switzerland or Saudi Arabia?)

Auction is ending tommorrow, let's see how high this piece will go!