Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MN 5513 subs

At first sight, this is quite an intriguing letter :

- the recipient's name is not indicated
    - it is supposedly issued by the Minister of Defense himself ( "Ministre") but Mr Lacoste has never been Minister of Defense. It would seem that Mr Lacoste has been appointed within the Ministry of Defense only in 1975, at a time when this ministry was not called anymore "Ministère des Armées" (as indicated on the letter) but "Ministère de la Défense".
    - there are no greetings such as the equivalent in French of "sincerely yours etc."

I also think the missing recipients name missing is very odd when you consider that the letter is detailed enough to include a seial number. Again, I wonder why a watch has issue numbers if it is an award. Many Emperor of Japan award watches and German award watches (don't know if German are real) haven't seen issue numbers. Seen who is giving the award and what it's for on the watch.

Really would be best to authenticate the paper letter. Anyone willing to send it to Lacoste himself? Is he still alive?

In the USA, I use Intelius.com to find addresses and phone numbers. Maybe French have something similar?

The letter looks very much like a fake, but the watches shown here are legit.

The mn used many models of watches in more or less big quantities, including rolex and not only 5513. These are issued watches, not gift or px watches, they wouldn't be engraved.

I've seen 5513 from 70, 73 and 75 with a different marking.

Hello Polo2,

I agree with you that a better explanation would be that they were issued. It bothers me that someone tried to make the watches seem legit with a letter that we think seems odd. Could the letter and the watches come from the same source?

Assuming that Rolex 5513 was a contemporary of the Tudor Sub, Beuchat, Auricoste, and other heavy duty dive watches, is there an example of a decom paper? Is there a copy of the registry like Tudors and even G-Shocks? Even the Type 20 someone found a registry.

Maybe if we keep looking... or maybe not find proof of a Rolex MN.
    This is a search on French Military Decom Watch as key words.
    [...search?q=french+military+decom+watch...]

https://www.google.com/search?q=fren...=1495552745304

Default What's the explanation that fits the current situation?

• Strange how the issue numbers are assigned to very different years in a non-linear fashion. More than 100 watches? Restarted Numbers? Some fake and some real?
    • Two different styles of inscription. MN 0?3 looks lasered in my opinion. MN 022 looks stamped in my opinion. Some look lasered, some look stamped. M.N. 68 are curved. Others are straight years.

Last edited by Seiji; 05-25-2017 at 08:10.

These watches not having [been discovered] any of the traditional French Marine Nationale information to validate them, yet Zaf whom I respect, has sold one.

I own 4 of them and in fact am wearing one now.

I've seen them come out directly from Brest, never having transited through the public. They're fairly rare so it's not surprising you haven't seen one. Nothing lasered about the engraving. It's clear you've never had one in hand! Will have more info about them in my book.

Photo bucket has killed this thread. Any chance of reuploading the imagery?

Yes , I've owned 3 and still have one , engravings are correct. Most MN tudors do not have de com papers
    and there are some service registers that various MN models appear on but they do not list every model of
    MN watches issued merely a record of service if the watch was returned for service . Yes Photobucket has
    fucked lots of threads on lots of forums. Shame.

Augustine Hubert was a French Army Commando officer. He was killed in 1944 so I doubt that he purchased Rolex Submariners.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Or, although they're actually part of the army, a French Marine? They splash about with the navy quite a bit.
    A French Marine is a sailor the French Army have a "Marine Brigade" - the 9th but its men are not Marines although they do some limited amphibious warfare.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G in NYC View Post
    Yes , I've owned 3 and still have one , engravings are correct. Most MN tudors do not have de com papers
    and there are some service registers that various MN models appear on but they do not list every model of
    MN watches issued merely a record of service if the watch was returned for service . Yes Photobucket has
    fucked lots of threads on lots of forums. Shame.
    For general info: The service register in question, is of ONE service location (Toulon I believe) and after 1983 at that which is about when the MN itself started maintaining the Tudors. So if a watch is not in THAT service register, it really doesn't mean anything.

Most of the MN Rolexes were maintained by the Brest arsenal and will not appear in any Toulon records.