Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MN 5513 subs

Default MN 5513 subs

Hi im new to this forum
    had a look through some posts seems theres some serious knowledge here

i had a chance today to look at a very beautiful 5513 sub stamped MN70 along with the 3 digit number above and also etched into one of the lugs

just wondering if anyone has any info on these 5513 MN stamped subs and if they are meant to have any form of paperwork or decom document to verify its authenticity or provenance as ive seen with the tudor MN's.

im a newbie when it comes to mil watches so forgive me if any of my questions where silly.

thanks

Never heard or seen such at thing. I doubt it is authentic. French are known for Tudors and other makes, but never heard or seen a Rolex MN.

You will get better information posting on this forum for French Military Watches
    http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/

welcome to the MWR forum.

try this -

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...442244/5513+MN

both of the above M.N.70 images are taken from the Vintage Rolex Forum.

thanks,
    i did read this thread earlier it doesnt really go into much detail

there seems to be that missing bit of provenance in regards to where they was actually stamped.
    they dont have any de com papers and not much info around about them

does this effect the attraction to these particular milsubs against ones from other countries?

thanks

Default 5513 MN from Phillips Watches Auction

I do not think that the 5513 MN is correct. Phillips pulled one from their Geneva auction last weekend, here are the pics.

♚ @TheSingaporeanWatchBaron ♚ (Instagram)

wow, I see. I wonder what the actual reason is why it was pulled.

I notice that this particular one doesn't have the lug engraved also.

do the British mil watches like the omega that just sold in Phillips auction and milsubs come with decommission papers of any sort or is there any way to determine authenticity?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    wow, I see. I wonder what the actual reason is why it was pulled.

I notice that this particular one doesn't have the lug engraved also.

do the British mil watches like the omega that just sold in Phillips auction and milsubs come with decommission papers of any sort or is there any way to determine authenticity?

thanks
    Authentication can be done in various forms. Some of which are expert opinions and personal opinions. As none of us are experts here. I'll show you a pic of a Milmaster (military Omega seamaster 300) and you tell me what your personal opinion is about it. And we'll go from there...

The question I have with those Rolex MN are that they look like they are laser engraved and not stamped or etched like all other MN watches of that period (1970s). But, I don't pretend to know anything about watches.

I'd like to be educated by seeing a reliable verifiable source that these Rolexes were MN issued.

They were a private issue from Colonel Hubert X 100 pieces over a
    four period to his Kapitans and Lieutenants . Not issued by Rolex
    or Tudor , but some are on the ledgers for service ...I've had 4 of these
    and the last one came off an officer retired and based in Paris.
    I don't doubt their authenticity . I believe there is a book in the works
    on the history of these MN Rolex's. G

Could you provide more info like entire name of Colonel Hubert or a link to information on internet? I just tried and wasn't successful. You definitely got my interest.

One thing is these Rolex 5513 sub's are all ready a valuable watch as is then to ruin it by putting fake military engraving to try to get more money for it and devalue it what morons.

I once in 2005 bought a 1665 "COMEX". I took it to Beverly Hills RSC for authentication. It was a fake that had been circulated for years. Asian guy was sympathetic and gave it back to me rather than confiscating it. I got my money back after going to VISA with Rolex paper evaluation. Point is fakers will use anything. They ruined a Double Red to make a COMEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji View Post
    I once in 2005 bought a 1665 "COMEX". I took it to Beverly Hills RSC for authentication. It was a fake that had been circulated for years. Asian guy was sympathetic and gave it back to me rather than confiscating it. I got my money back after going to VISA with Rolex paper evaluation. Point is fakers will use anything. They ruined a Double Red to make a COMEX!
    Credit card charge back seems to be the way to go... I heard it messes up with the errand seller's PayPal account...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G in NYC View Post
    Okay something to look into
    Thanks

I don't wanna embarrass myself with what I think but I'll give it a go

The bezel looks a bit off compared to others I've seen but again I say I'm a complete newbie on these particular watches

One question I do have is what's the difference between the big triangle at 12 o'clock and the smaller markers?

Also why is the circle t sometimes above the hands and sometimes below?

Thanks

Why would the military give Rolexes with issue numbers to Captains and Leutenants? Wouldn't it make more sense to rotate these watches for dive assignments to divers? Why mark up gifts to officers? The story has problems.

I believe the inference is that the Colonel purchased and gifted the watches to certain officers in his command.
    It is not unheard of for some officers, then and now, to be independently wealthy.
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G in NYC View Post
    Would love to see this book. Do let us know when it is out, and where to purchase it. Thank you!

Texting while driving... illegal and difficult. I think the story about the Colonel is odd. Rolexes marked to look like issued milwatches that normally would be issued and assigned to divers to be checked in and out from L'arsenal de Brest , or Toulon is given as gifts to commanding officers from 1968 to 1973. 100 of these. Why are these so called gifts then not just market "Souvenir" something with the French equivalent of thank you for your service and dedication or from you buddy to [fill in name here] ? The watches might be legit milwatches, but the story is just odd. Also, 100 commanding officers in the French Navy under the Colonel? That's a lot of commanding officer friends.
    Last edited by Seiji; 05-20-2017 at 13:36.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSingaporeanWatchBaron View Post
    Would love to see this book. Do let us know when it is out, and where to purchase it. Thank you!
    You might be waiting a while. Colonels as a rank don't normally exist in the French Navy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_in_the_French_Navy