Thread: RAN

Default RAN

What kind of watches were issued for the Royal Australian Navy?

Specifically were there Lemania monopusher with RAN on the dial?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmoret View Post
    Specifically were there Lemania monopusher with RAN on the dial?
    there were certainly one button Lemanias with RAN on the case back.

anyway we do know that one does exist with RAN on the dial -

but is it legit, that is the big question?

I've found a second.

I have one

Quote Originally Posted by dave.charlton View Post
    I have one
    Can you share a photo of the back? This one says HS9 199.

I will have to dig it out to photo the back but I know it has HS9 RAN 95 engraved

Default RAN 199 HS9

Quote Originally Posted by david h View Post
    Interesting observation - around Xmas time a nice looking RAN single push button Lemania chrono came up for sale on a European website - there was some discussion on the forum, the dial had RAN marking but no RAN on caseback, just usual type military markings. I did liase with the seller who claimed watch had not been interfered with and this type of discrepancy was well recognised. I elected not to purchase. I checked out website again today and strangely enough there is now another RAN Lemania single push button chrono for sale-this one though has no RAN on dial but has RAN marked caseback. Don't think I'll be buying this one either - could this be a case of 2 rare RAN chronos one after another with the seller with variant dial/caseback, or might adjustments have been made to the original watch mixing with another Lemania to generate 2 rare sales...??
    Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    Are you referring to No.73? If so that is the only one I could find FS on the Internet. I've seen both variants and owned one with an engraved case-back. There is also a RAN 199 which has the RAN marked dial and marked case-back. The markings on the back appear to be a bit crudely done and I'll show the links here for discussion purposes only: If inappropriate please delete..

A first glance may set alarm bells ringing however having collected Aussie for a number of years and seeing strange Aussie mil-watch variations in general, I wouldn't be quick to disqualify these. I haven't seen a qualified RAN Lemania faked yet but I have seen crudely done variations which are legitimate. The engraving on #73 has been partially disfigured by ambitious brushing of the caseback, and if you look very closely you'll see the engraving is nice and even and deep. If you pay attention to the 99's in 199 you'll also see that the numbers are well formed but appear to have been re-scraped in an attempt to touch up existing partially faded or removed markings.. If you aren't used to seeing Aussie quirkiness this sort of thing can be off putting but is often legitimate..

this one appears to have been floating about for quite some time..

So I bought this from Australia about 10-15 years ago (?). It is exactly as I bought it with the bonklip bracelet. It is approx 38mm diameter and the HS9 engraving certainly looks the same as the above example as does the dial at first glance. The Pheon is quite clear and well engraved in real life - just doesn't show well in the photo.
     photo image1-13.jpg photo image2-5.jpg

a couple more from KK -

Quote Originally Posted by kfranzk View Post

@ashmoret - yes I saw that HS199 on sale on the other forum as well but was hesitant due to the differing format of the engravings. That's not to say the rest of the watch isnt kosher of course..