Thread: Birmingham watch fair......

Default Birmingham watch fair......

still to the 2 room format. Half the sellers holding clocks and other ephemera more horological than wrist. One or two nice watches. Steal of the day from my perspective, was an unmolested HS9 Lemania chronograph with original strap, dial and markings.

Seller wanted 1500, five minutes later Jurgen of the stall next to him bought it for 1300. Great original piece. Just to make Revo jealous there was a stall selling NOS Smiths dials. Including A404, and Smiths divers, as well as many others. Most expensive being 35, down to 10 each.

Missed the Smiths dials - gutted. Got there a bit too late by the sounds of it.

they were factory fresh. not bad for 50 odd years old.

Now that's a great looking dial

Nice - how many did you get?

Noticed a few diver cases, dials and bezels for sale on ebay recently going for silly money.

If you have one spare I'd be interested in buying it.

Nice looking dial, but did they have any of the handsets?

They're pretty distinctive and I think only ever used on that model...

I could of bought other dials, this was the only divers left, when i got to the stand. They where also selling a NOS case and dial for 450. Which seemed a lot considering the case is the same as a hundred other makes, even down to the sterile inside case back and bezel. Regarding the handset, i think it's only the sweep which is unique.

Yes the cases sold on e bay have been going for nearly 500. Considering the last Smiths Astral diver on e bay sold for 1400 (non working and with incorrect second hand) they are worth that to somebody.

Annoyingly the fair at the NEC is only 20 mins away from me, but Sunday mornings are my busiest time so . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

I've only just got over the full English

Quote Originally Posted by Viktoria View Post
    I've only just got over the full English

And I've only just got over buying it.

The 2 bacon and egg Cobs I had were a better choice. Thick Danish bacon...hmmmm