Thread: Help , what have I got here ??

Default Help , what have I got here ??

Is this an Elgin A11 in an A17a case or a mix of the two ???
    Could this be sorted to make a correct example of either ?
    Many thanks in advance
    Carl [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Also , the "dust" cover is made from "plastic " ?? Is this correct for either type ?[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    Is this an Elgin A11 in an A17a case or a mix of the two ???
    Could this be sorted to make a correct example of either ?
    Many thanks in advance
    Carl
    Looks like an Elgin A-17A with Elgin A-11 dial and hands. The movement is correct but has a couple of incorrect replacement parts by the looks of it: the centre seconds drive and train wheel. The dust cover looks the correct star type and doesn't look like it's made out of plastic either. The crown is wrong of course. Not sure how much it would cost to put this back but I would avoid personally.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Thankyou Martin . I think I have used the incorrect terminology regarding the dust cover , it's the piece that sits over the movement which you see in my last picture .
    As I'm a complete novice to watches , you mention "crown" which part is that ? Sorry for sounding ignorant.
    This watch and a GG-W-113 we're amongst a Usaaf /USAF collection I inherited from my late uncle .So they cost me nothing , buut would have liked to know if it's a better option to put it back as an A17a or A11

Many thanks again
    Carl

As I'm a complete novice to watches , you mention "crown" which part is that ? Sorry for sounding ignorant.
    Carl
    Watch crown is the pin on the side of the watch. Usually used for winding and setting the time.

Andrzej

Thankyou Andrzej

Thankyou Martin . I think I have used the incorrect terminology regarding the dust cover , it's the piece that sits over the movement which you see in my last picture .
    This watch and a GG-W-113 we're amongst a Usaaf /USAF collection I inherited from my late uncle .So they cost me nothing , buut would have liked to know if it's a better option to put it back as an A17a or A11

Many thanks again
    Carl
    No, your terminology is correct, and the dust cover is correct. (Unless it IS plastic, which I doubt it can be: it should be a thick metal ring with tinny cap snapped over it, which will come apart). The case and its cover were all made by the Star Watch Case Company which should be stamped inside the case back. If the watch has come to you via family, then it shouldn't be cost-prohibitive to restore it back to an A17A. (The A-11 used a different case and movement - the G-539 - so your only option is to make it an A-17A again). The variant movement parts won't be noticed. The only problem might be getting a correct Elgin A-17A dial and hand set which weren't produced in such high numbers as the WW2 parts.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Many thanks Martin for the advice and information .Do you know anyone or anywhere where I can get this project undertook at all please ?
    Carl

Many thanks Martin for the advice and information .Do you know anyone or anywhere where I can get this project undertook at all please ?
    Carl
    The main issue will be getting the correct dial and hands - I don't know how common/scarce they are. The crown won't be a problem. Scott McCoy is one of the go-to guys for US military watches but unless he has the parts to hand even he will be restricted in what he can do.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

How do I get in touch with him Martin ??

Many thanks
    Carl

there is no email contact for Scott so use Private Message -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/membe...40-Scott-Mccoy

Thankyou Dave