Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Omega at Phillips

  1. #1

  2. #2

    Default

    there was a story on Hodinkee about this one earlier this week: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mi...untry-survived

  3. #3

    Default

    The market is definitely saying the 12 dial is worth more than the triangle dial.

  4. #4

    Default

    Would it not be the Omega applied T and provenance rather than 12 dial?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktoria View Post
    The market is definitely saying the 12 dial is worth more than the triangle dial.

    Using historical data. You'd be able to calculate that the Bonhams BT W10 traded hands for more than the 12 dial from Phillips. This only goes to show that even for a 12 dial with an insane amount of provenance, the market still prefers a naked provenance-less BT...
    ♚ @TheSingaporeanWatchBaron ♚ (Instagram)

  6. #6
    Member MR.H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    shropshire uk
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Several years ago I had the choice of keeping either a BT or 12 dial watch I chose the 12 as I thought it looked better, both watches were no circle T W10's so with the chance of them being SAS the 12 dial fitted in better with the secret / covert op's type theme + the 12's were only selling for a few 100 less than BT's not the big 4 figures difference like in today's market

    Still glad I chose it as I think it looks more balanced than the BT's although if the choice had included factory T dial's I'd have probably picked BT & not minded or considered the dial to look top heavy

    Just wondering if anyone has heard any more from Omega about what watches were issued with what dials, apart from the first batch in 67 being 12 no T's ... mines 16*/67

    Regards
    Mr.H
    Last edited by MR.H; 05-19-2017 at 11:06. Reason: typo

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MR.H View Post
    Several years ago I had the choice of keeping either a BT or 12 dial watch I chose the 12 as I thought it looked better, both watches were no circle T W10's so with the chance of them being SAS the 12 dial fitted in better with the secret / covert op's type theme + the 12's were only selling for a few 100 less than BT's not the big 4 figures difference like in today's market

    Still glad I chose it as I think it looks more balanced than the BT's although if the choice had included factory T dial's I'd have probably picked BT & not minded or considered the dial to look top heavy

    Just wondering if anyone has heard any more from Omega about what watches were issued with what dials, apart from the first batch in 67 being 12 no T's ... mines 16*/67

    Regards
    Mr.H
    For me, British Military Issued Omega 165.024 must always come with a circled T dial. I had always felt that the non circled T dial variants that we see quite commonly these days on British Military Issued 165.024, was due to the dial being replaced when the serviceman or subsequent owners were no longer in the army/navy. Thus, if they needed a new dial, purchasing and installing a civilian dial without the circled T was the only option. I remain unconvinced that a serviceman would receive a newly issued Omega sm300 in the 60's with a non circled T (civilian) dial. I might change my mind if I come across one with first owner provenance.
    ♚ @TheSingaporeanWatchBaron ♚ (Instagram)

  8. #8

    Default

    Agreed .... personally I don't have THAT much of a preference , aesthetically I think the 12 dial is nicer , but it's the overall condition / appearance that does it for me ... BUT the market currently prefers big triangle , and that's what I get asked for more

  9. #9
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    how does that saying go now - beggars can't be choosers..

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dunstable ,UK
    Posts
    20

    Default

    What came first the military T dial or the civilian dial/sword or candlestick hands? mine has candlestick hands no T 12 dial delivered to the M.O.D in 1967
    amended in 1970 A/36?/70. 0552/923.After many years of research I'm still no wiser.
    Regards Sean

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    What came first the military T dial or the civilian dial/sword or candlestick hands? mine has candlestick hands no T 12 dial delivered to the M.O.D in 1967
    amended in 1970 A/36?/70. 0552/923.After many years of research I'm still no wiser.
    Regards Sean

    As I have outlined above. I believe that all civilian dial with candlestick/pencil hands were replaced when the owner or subsequent owners were no longer serving in the UK military. To me, that's the only logical explanation. However, jedly1 and OP might have differing views, as they were one of the first to collect these issued sm300's.


    Here's my full spec first quarter 1967 Issued W10.

    ♚ @TheSingaporeanWatchBaron ♚ (Instagram)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon, England
    Posts
    74

    Default Military SM300

    I've found more than a dozen of these over the years, all 'new to the market' - i.e. from original owners or military surplus type of sources.

    I believe that some early ones did have non-'T' dials, but I suspect we'll find it difficult to find proof either way.

    And like Jed, I get asked for BT dials more than '12' dials, both on civvy and military versions.

    Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •