Thread: New knife on the way.....

Default New knife on the way.....

Hi,
    I've been collecting aircrew items for a long time and have a standard 5 inch blade survival knife, what I have wanted was a much harder to find earlier 6 inch knife. This week was a good week because I found just what I wanted.

The original MIL-K-8662B (AER) 6 inch knife was made by Marble with a screw on pommel, later, Marble was under-bid by Camillus, they began production in 1958. An amendment to the specification dated 29 June 1960 saw Camillus begin to peen the pommel. In 1962 the blade was shortened to 5 inches keeping just the Camillus mark on the blade. In Jan 1967 the Camillus mark plus the month and year of production were shifted to the hexagonal pommel.

This is a Camillus made knife, peened pommel and blade marked, this nails it down to this nice example being made between 1960 and 1962.

Hope you like it... a big thanks to Mike (river rat) for helping me get hold of this!

Cheers, John
    Last edited by dave; 05-11-2017 at 03:42. Reason: general.

Nice acquisition!

Thanks Patrick.

Here's a copy of a 1957 Marble drawing, they designed the knife and then lost the contract to Camillus:

cheers, John

nice one John; apparently that extra inch can make all the difference.

just let my 1992 Buck 124 go to concentrate more on military (type) knives.
    Last edited by dave; 05-11-2017 at 03:38. Reason: general.

I had one of those in Vietnam 66-67. They were pilots knives. Mine was brand new and I gave it to my father upon my return and exit from the Army. It had a sharpening stone and a rather long piece of thong. They were apparently survival knives. I don't recall the maker. You could gut a man like a chicken with that one John.

Hi Dave... you probanly could but he'd complain a bit!
    I think I remember you saying that you were in a chopper unit in Vietnam.... maybe you knew this guy with a similar pilot knife?

Cheers, John
    Last edited by dave; 05-11-2017 at 03:35. Reason: general.

Here's a couple more photos.... I also have a WW2 USMC CAMILLUS MK2 on the way... I'm really looking forward to that one!

Cheers, John

I was in a Corps Signal Btn. We provided communication nets for the whole II Corps. 1st Cav at AnKhe, 25th Inf and 4th Inf up at Pleiku, 101st AB at Tuy Hoa and 5th SF at Nha Trang and at their camps all over the Highlands. Our outfit had several Hueys that were part of our TOE with field grade officers flying them. I got that knife from one of the Majors flying them. We had detachments all over II Corps and I got around a lot working for the battalion S4. The photo is of a Marine refueling a H 34 which is a recip dinosaur that the Marines used because the Navy wouldn't pay for Hueys. The Army had all Hueys and Chinooks and small 2 man choppers. Marines had Chinooks and H34s.

Hi Dave,

what Signal Battalion were you in?

Don't know if you have seen these........

http://webdoc.sub.gwdg.de/ebook/p/20...omm-el/ch2.htm

http://www.armysignalocs.com/veteran...s_earnest.html

cheers, John

I was in the 54th. Interesting thing on pg 37 chart shows 54th integral to IFFV in 1965. IFFV didn't even exist in 1965 it was a composite infantry unit operating North of us. Included was 50th Inf (mec) and other organizations. We were attached to the 1st Cav when I got there went to MACV, then USARV then IFFV all with different patches. The meat and potatoes of the 54th was a bunch of $1M US VHF and UHF radio vans that were on a 2 1/2 ton chassis. They drove them up to the top of a mountain and went from there. We had Collins Radio KWM2 Single Sideband radios for nets @ $30K US each. You could fit them in the back of a jeep and with a 60' ribbon antenna and the right crystals you could hit anywhere in the world.

Patrick , your message box is full
    im not able to contact you and was waiting for your pics today
    Clean somes old PM in your box

Quote Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
    Thanks Patrick.

Here's a copy of a 1957 Marble drawing, they designed the knife and then lost the contract to Camillus:

cheers, John
    The Origin of the First Blood (1982) Knife made By Jimmy Buel Lile , So cool !

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    just let my 1992 Buck 124 go to concentrate more on military (type) knives.
    well I managed to pick up this well used issued BM AFO II earlier this afternoon -

I've had a few of the original AFOs previously but this modified version is one helluva knife.

Nice knife Dave,
    are they an issue knife?
    cheers, John

in short, yes..

The 9050SBK is an approved issue item for all U.S. Coast Guard rescue swimmers, and has been "authorized for use in USAF survival kits, survival vests, and multi place raft accessory containers". Other branches of the U.S. armed forces also issue this knife for a variety of missions, from special operations to search & rescue.
    Due to the tremendous acceptance of this model by the military and Federal law enforcement communities, the Defense Logistics Agency has issued NSN-1095-01-446-4348 for the 9050SBK knife. The name assigned to this stock number is: KNIFE, AUTOMATIC, SWITCHBLADE.