Thread: My Adanac Navigator Project

Default My Adanac Navigator Project

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to read this topic.

About 10 years ago I had to sell one of my favorite watches, my Benrus Type II A Diver as my wife and I ran into financial straits and to be honest, when we recovered, the urge to get another one never really was there until a couple of months ago. When I went to look at them I was quite amazed at how much they had gone up in price and figured, "well, that isn't going to work."

Then I remembered that Marathon made a steel navigator back in the 80's and the search was on for one of those. Well, I was able to pick one up on Ebay and wore it with delight though that darn quartz tick just wasn't quite the same as that nice auto sweep of my old Type II. I remembered Hyusunk had done a mod on his and added an auto movement so I figured I'd look into it when the Harley Ronda in my watch died.

Well I found some posts on here about how it was possible but no real information on how to do it so I figured I'd do some research on it.

Things that I knew:
    1. An ETA 2801 and 2824 were direct drop in's as the dial feet and the diamter were the same (11.5 ligne)
    2. THere were no details on how to do it
    3. There isn't a lot of room inside if you use a 2824 as it is over 4mm tall while the Harley Ronda is about 3.5mm tall

So when I decided on a movement I chose to go with a 2892A2. Not as it's a better movement but because it's thinner by 1mm and I was able to get a basic model with no frills for $200.

So here are the pictures for anyone else who chooses to do a similar mod.

First the parts:

Next showing that the dial does indeed fit with no modifications:

Here is the backside of the movement showing how it fits into the movement holder and the clearance. I can understand how a 2824 wouldn't have a lot of space.

The hour and minute hand are direct drop ons but the second hand took a bit of work. It's .20 vs. the .25 on the ETA. I was able to get it on but it took a bit of force.

Here it is with the caseback back on.

On the timing machine. 1-2 secs depending on position.

And on the wrist.

Not a bad representation of a Benrus Type II. Overall the hardest part of the mod was removing the caseback and putting on the seconds hand. Everything else was actually very easy. No screws, no case clamps. Just drop in and go.

All in I've got $500 in the project. I can live with that.

Hope you enjoyed the long read and if you're thinking about a similar mod, at least there is more description for you around the steps to take.

I've now got a auto steel Adanac to go with my quartz Adanac.

Thanks all.

John

Well done. Enjoy wearing it.
    Regards,

John,

Very, VERY interesting. Thanks for posting!
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Extremely cool! Thanks for taking the time to post this; I had also heard that this was possible but never knew exactly how. I have owned two Type II's, but must admit I never found them comfortable (something to do with the sharp pointy lug ends and how close the strap bars are to the case I think). Also, they are a fairly maintenance-needy watch, and eventually I lost my stomach for it. I also had three or four Marathon, Adanac, and Gallet-cased navigators with quartz movements in them at one time too. I have just one remaining, with the super-rare LL Bean dial.

I have bookmarked this page and will return when I embark on this project. Thanks again for taking the time to post to this level of detail.

Myron

Great idea
    I might have a go at doing the same
    Thanks for sharing

John

You're welcome guys. It was daunting at first when I didn't know what was needed to accomplish it but just some research and realized I could do it and the best route was to NOT use a 2824 but a thinner 2892.

Came out good

That's a great mod John, I'm sure there will be others to follow.

Terry

Great mod, John. Glad things turned out well.

This is a cool mod, and good to see it works out fine with realtive ease. But first i need to find me a decent simple Adanac to enjoy for a while

Cheers,
    Lou

Nicely done... I put one together with a 2824, it was a very close fit. The rotor was probably only 1mm away... any rotor slop and it would be a no go.

ETA: I also did a composite cased navigator with a 2801... that was also a drop in.. but that was years ago and i am not sure if any changes have been made since then.

Well Done, John!

I miss my Benrus - shouldn't have sold it.

I can't seem to edit the original post to fix the image links so here it is with the updated links since Photobucket decided to hose people.

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to read this topic.

About 10 years ago I had to sell one of my favorite watches, my Benrus Type II A Diver as my wife and I ran into financial straits and to be honest, when we recovered, the urge to get another one never really was there until a couple of months ago. When I went to look at them I was quite amazed at how much they had gone up in price and figured, "well, that isn't going to work."

Then I remembered that Marathon made a steel navigator back in the 80's and the search was on for one of those. Well, I was able to pick one up on Ebay and wore it with delight though that darn quartz tick just wasn't quite the same as that nice auto sweep of my old Type II. I remembered Hyusunk had done a mod on his and added an auto movement so I figured I'd look into it when the Harley Ronda in my watch died.

Well I found some posts on here about how it was possible but no real information on how to do it so I figured I'd do some research on it.

Things that I knew:
    An ETA 2801 and 2824 were direct drop in's as the dial feet and the diamter were the same (11.5 ligne)
    THere were no details on how to do it
    There isn't a lot of room inside if you use a 2824 as it is over 4mm tall while the Harley Ronda is about 3.5mm tall

So when I decided on a movement I chose to go with a 2892A2. Not as it's a better movement but because it's thinner by 1mm and I was able to get a basic model with no frills for $200.

So here are the pictures for anyone else who chooses to do a similar mod.

First the parts:

Next showing that the dial does indeed fit with no modifications:

Here is the backside of the movement showing how it fits into the movement holder and the clearance. I can understand how a 2824 wouldn't have a lot of space.

The hour and minute hand are direct drop ons but the second hand took a bit of work. It's .20 vs. the .25 on the ETA. I was able to get it on but it took a bit of force.

Here it is with the caseback back on.

On the timing machine. 1-2 secs depending on position.

And on the wrist.

Not a bad representation of a Benrus Type II. Overall the hardest part of the mod was removing the caseback and putting on the seconds hand. Everything else was actually very easy. No screws, no case clamps. Just drop in and go.

All in I've got $500 in the project. I can live with that.

Hope you enjoyed the long read and if you're thinking about a similar mod, at least there is more description for you around the steps to take.

I've now got a auto steel Adanac to go with my quartz Adanac.

Thanks all.

John

VERY nice! I've enjoyed reading about your project VERY much!
    Cordially,
    ~Burgs

I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong... - Inspector O

Great work- I have a dead Ronda in a Marathon/Gallet case (1989) and thinking of this.