Thread: Hamilton 6B Gilt Dial?

Default Hamilton 6B Gilt Dial?

i own a 6b that has a very noticeable yellowed fonts/markings (almost gilt looking) when compared to most pictures where you see perfectly white numerals and minute tracks.

the yellowness is uniform to the point that i don't think someone painted over them.

i wonder if this is an ageing effect or were there a few variants of dials produced through the years?

Any photo to share?

Let me see if this comes through

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhLvI9IHsoZ5lUzNA79myIX1uXV0

Quote Originally Posted by lawrencek View Post
    Any photo to share?

From that picture I would say they were white markers which have aged to a yellow colour.

Joe
    Smiths 0552 1968
    CWC RN 1994
    CWC SBS 2001
    Seiko Gen 1 RAF 1984
    Seiko Gen 2 RAF 1993
    Pulsar Gen 1 RAF 2008
    Leonidas GSTP

Default image

very cool effect. have never seen one age like that.

it's very uniform that's why i'm asking. usually when something ages it could be spotty, this is everything from the numbers, to the rail track to the
    logo, T, ^, all markings are uniformed "gilted".

i tried searching here and pictures on google and didn't find anything that wasn't a pristine white so figured i'd ask.

I have 2 6Bs and have noticed the same thing you are describing. One has very white numbers and chapter ring, while the other is almost gilt-like as you've described. It's worth noting that the "gilt" dial also has slightly thinner printing overall, with finer maker's mark, circle T, broadarrow, chapter ring and numbers.

Hi Oski, thanks for the message. Would it be possible for you to post side by side? I wish I could

Also, what SN, if you don't mind sharing, is your "gilted" one?

Quote Originally Posted by iridium7777 View Post
    Hi Oski, thanks for the message. Would it be possible for you to post side by side? I wish I could

Also, what SN, if you don't mind sharing, is your "gilted" one?
    My "gilt" dial 6B has the serial number 2619 (it's a 6B-9101000). My white number dial is currently with a watchmaker. I will have to follow up with a proper side by side in a few weeks.

Looking at the lume discolouration on the hands and markers, I'd say the yellowing may be the result of prolonged exposure to moisture. A full frontal picture may help to compare the dial with other watches.

Terry

There is no lume on the dial, here is a front shot. The lint is lint and not something on the dial. Hands - yes - are discolored.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhLvI9IHsoZ5lU2-4a4Gn8580ioi

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Andrews View Post
    Looking at the lume discolouration on the hands and markers, I'd say the yellowing may be the result of prolonged exposure to moisture. A full frontal picture may help to compare the dial with other watches.

Terry

Looks like rotted dissolved tritium to me on the dial. The lume plots just aren't their normal full amount due to moisture.

I think it is somewhat common. I own several hamiltons, and if I look closely some have varying degrees of this yellow discoloration to the white fonts. Some more subtle than others.

Here's one that just sold on eBay: (not mine)

These yellowed dials really look great. It would be interesting to know if they're in a tight group of serial numbers. Maybe a difference in printing?

Just picked up 1080, the dial is markedly different to the two others I've had, a 6B that was numbered around 3000 higher than this and a H67. This one has a fair amount of tritium creep whereas the later two had crisp lume.
    [IMG][/IMG]