Thread: MILITARY BADGES inc. MINE CLEARANCE SERVICE

Default MILITARY BADGES inc. MINE CLEARANCE SERVICE

Hi All. As an interesting sideline I've started collecting Mil badges as I circulate. They seem to complement the watches. Bottom right is interesting. No idea if it is correct. Someone out there will know? Fantastic history in their designs. Cheers, Ian.

started to pick up a few bits n bobs now as watches are too expensive or non-existent.

got a few issue knives but I'm not allowed to play with them in case I cut myself!

also been getting a few badges, buttons and patch insignia.

got a very nice WW2 RAAF cap badge that had been down a UK cellar since the war ended.

lots of restrikes with cap badges so this in itself can be a minefield; LOL.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...p?27761-Whoops

given up on WW2 German stuff though as too much dodgy stuff around.

thinking about getting some DPM stuff now before it joins the dodo and the 59 and 72 denisons.

I've got bags of badges. I could never be arsed sorting through them all. I suppose I should, really.

Wonderful assortment Ian. My great Uncle Lt Frank Bruce (my grandfather's brother) was commanding the USS Bobolink in the North Sea in 1919-20 clearing mines left over from the big war. Got tangled amess and ordered his crew forward while he went overboard to try and clear the mine. It went off killing him. It was in a National Geographic issue about clearing the mines. The US Navy named a Destroyer USS Bruce DD329 after him. Mine clearing was a big deal.

My father has dealt and collected military badges for decades and the sheer breadth of variety is awesome. However, the number of re-strikes floating about certainly makes it a minefield for newcomers, with some being so convincing that even he can struggle to tell them apart.

Just be aware that many WW1 & WW2 UK badges have been reproduced for years now, some are obvious recasts while others are die struck from originals..

I have a MCS badge too somewhere. It cost a couple of quid so I suspect it's a repro, but thought it would come in useful as a backdrop for photos. I'll have to dig it out although I have no idea where it is

IAP
    Order of the Invisible Ethereal Electron with Crossed Wizard's Wands

I did my 2yrs National Service (CONSCRIPTION) January 56/58 in The Suffolk Regiment, I have a small framed collection of Suffolk Cap Badges, 16 in total, all different.
    Can't post a Picture, too difficult.

Malaya or was that the Norfolks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hut27 View Post
    I did my 2yrs National Service (CONSCRIPTION) January 56/58 in The Suffolk Regiment, I have a small framed collection of Suffolk Cap Badges, 16 in total, all different.
    Can't post a Picture, too difficult.
    If I had served God half as well as I have served the King, he would not have given me over to die in such a place as this

Found it

Resurrecting this thread. Chatting to my dad who is a military badge dealer of 50 years or so. I mentioned this thread and he dug out a mine clearance badge he has in. He also noted the latest they were for the interwar years and the mine clearance service was established in 1919, using trawlers manned by RNR crews. The service didn't last long and was disbanded in 1920.

Just found this, which shoes mine as a repro from a broken mould

IAP