Thread: Today's arival, Smiths content

Default Today's arival, Smiths content

Picked up this beauty today. A J.W.Benson tropical, which according to Smiths watches is the closest you can get to a true "Everest" with the same dial type as Hillary's watch. Though I have found the post from Revo showing his Smiths with the same dial, which is surely a super rare beast. Not a mil watch but one with some great connotations. The background picture is a pull out from the 1953 Alpine Journal report on the ascent from my archives.

I used to own one of those. Sold it for about 30 maybe five years ago!

Nice watch.

lovely watch...............i'm sure you're 'made up'.... enjoy wearing

i have similarly cased benson + smiths deluxe.......i'm taken with mine they wear well

Mark L

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    I used to own one of those. Sold it for about 30 maybe five years ago!

Nice watch.
    Blimey, I wish I'd paid that for this one . Very chuffed with it as other than watches my passion is the mountains, so nice to have a connection there.

Nice watch! Assuming it has the "DQ" engraved caseback and 16j movement? One of my favourite Smiths, along with the A404 and the W10.

"Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Yes, check to both of those. Love those adverts by the way.

That is really lovely!

Dennison could at least have used a 'Made in England' marked watch dial to celebrate Smiths' Everest conquest!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenellic2000 View Post
    Dennison could at least have used a 'Made in England' marked watch dial to celebrate Smiths' Everest conquest!
    Ha, good spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenellic2000 View Post
    I guess Smiths didn't want to contribute towards the cost of the advert and/or Dennison didn't want to alienate any of its other customers.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)