Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JLC WWW Dirty Dozen - A question

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    the movement serial number is 320402 which conforms with the Aussie ranges.

the details state that the case back number is 294032 but it is actually 284032.
    Thanks Dave - yup, that mov`t serial number places the watch in the Aussie range..

Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeV8 View Post
    One more thought - do you think a JLC extract from the archive would be worthwhile?
    no probably not and I believe that the price is quite extravagant.

You guys are amazing - I am deeply impressed. All information duly noted.

Although the case numbers for the English and Aussie watches are in different ranges the movement serial numbers fall within the same range between 315xxx and 325xxx. The range of serial numbers I have noted for the Aussie watches is 317xxx to 322xxx and there are plenty of English watches also in this range of numbers.
    Kerry.

What I find curious is why were the cases different for the Australian Jaegers.. You would think that the same UK case would have been used since the UK order made up the bulk of the total sum. The slight differences in the case seems to indicate a different manufacture in addition to the shiny plated finish. It`s also note worthy that the case back serial numbers are grouped within a certain range. Kerry`s observation that he`s noted plenty of English watches in that range might have something to do with how the movements came delivered from the factory and then assembled. The relative tightness of the case back number range indicates the casings were done in one go. However the movements probably arrived in a less orderly manner and were installed without any duty to keeping the serials consecutive. Anyhow, these Aussie Jaegers are interesting as well as the Aussie Omega sterile back counterpart..

Quote Originally Posted by brl48 View Post
    Although the case numbers for the English and Aussie watches are in different ranges the movement serial numbers fall within the same range between 315xxx and 325xxx. The range of serial numbers I have noted for the Aussie watches is 317xxx to 322xxx and there are plenty of English watches also in this range of numbers.
    Kerry.
    Now I am confused! So is it possible that mine IS a UK WWW one with the wrong case? Or is it an Aussie one with the incorrect caseback? Will we ever know?!!

Now I am confused! So is it possible that mine IS a UK WWW one with the wrong case? Or is it an Aussie one with the incorrect caseback? Will we ever know?!!
    Though your watch falls within the Aussie range generally speaking, we'll never really know because it has an English back. The case has been reworked and so it's not perfectly clear if it's an Aussie or aggressively refinished UK model unfortunately.. I wasn't aware that Kerry had been keeping better records than I was at the time..

Hi Konrad
    I had a JLC WWW with movement serial outside of the previous serial range. It was 396711?? Any ideas on this?
    Cheers Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondo5508 View Post
    Hi Konrad
    I had a JLC WWW with movement serial outside of the previous serial range. It was 396711?? Any ideas on this?
    Cheers Russell.
    Hi Russell - was your WWW an English model or with a sterile back? I didn't record JLC WWW numbers in general, mainly Aussie models.. Someone else will have to chime in if it's the general English WWW model numbers you are asking about..

hmmm; just to confuse matters this one appears very similar to the one in the original post -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAEGER-LEC...p2047675.l2557

Also polished to within an inch of it's life. Unfortunately these are prone to bad rechrome jobs

I wouldn't be surprised if the same culprit was responsible for this watch.

Default ^^

I have always thought that my one was an old dog however looking at it again and now comparing it to some others it's actually a half decent watch - that minty one that you have/had has yet to be surpassed though..

I have kindly been offered a swap for an oz caseback with correct serial number to replace the WWW. This would give the watch more integrity. I guess I will just keep this one as an addition to the collection. And keep looking for a DD version. Good plan?

this is probably the best Australian JLC WWW that has so far surfaced -

http://www.ukwatches.com/shop/?wpsc-...ssue-www-watch

this is probably the best Australian JLC WWW that has so far surfaced -

http://www.ukwatches.com/shop/?wpsc-...ssue-www-watch
    ...I agree because it used to be mine

I have kindly been offered a swap for an oz caseback with correct serial number to replace the WWW. This would give the watch more integrity. I guess I will just keep this one as an addition to the collection. And keep looking for a DD version. Good plan?
    ..you could do that but it's not known for sure if the watch actually is Australian. If the watch had come directly from an Australian source I'd be more optimistic.. It's too bad the company records don't differentiate the UK batches from the Australian portion. It's the same with the Omega WWW Aussie and that extract just showed it had been delivered to the UK Omega agent. I haven't compared the delivery dates of the Aussie serial numbers to those of the English dates to see if there is any pattern but it's possible.

All I'm saying is, that the extracts make no distinction between the two. The distributor in the UK handled the Australian order which is the same as a few private label Australian civilian market Longines I have extracts for showing the movements were first shipped to the UK Longines agent. The civilian market ebauches were then shipped to the Australian agent who had them fitted into domestic made cases and supplied to local jewellery stores.. Somewhere there has to be something since the Australian cases/casebacks were different and a separate factory sub order..

I was investigating an RAAF 6b/159 Longines which had been MoD recased after the war and the extract of the archives I received only said that the watch had been delivered to the Longines UK agent (Baume) in 1944. The archives have no record of how the order was handled once in the hands of the agent and my inquires to Baume in London came back negative by saying the current company did not retain those records..

Cheers,

Konrad
    Last edited by lambstew; 04-16-2017 at 09:41.

I did get some info from the auction house re the vendor. He said that he had purchased the watch in the far east approx 10 years ago...FWIW.

Please excuse ignorance, what does WWW Mean/Stand for on Case back ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Hut27 View Post
    what does WWW Mean/Stand for on Case back ?
    Watches, Wristlet, Waterproof