Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JLC WWW Dirty Dozen - A question

Default JLC WWW Dirty Dozen - A question

I have recently purchased in auction a JLC WWW. However there seems to be a very strange issue with it which I need the assistance of the forum with if possible. The dial, hands, winder, movement including number and case back are all as would be expected. However the case is not. I cannot say too much at present ( or post any pics) as I am in dialogue with the auction house about it but wondered if anyone had encountered a recase of the JLC here. Perhaps it is some REME-MOD recall which has not been documented?. It has been rechromed, has long thin lugs and removeable spring bars and feels much more like a normal dress watch style case with a glass standing proud of the flatish bezel. However the screwback fits perfectly. It is an anomaly as I am not aware of any other cases where the JLC caseback will screw in.

If anyone does have any specific information could they PM me and I can send pics directly to them by email. I can also provide a comparision shot with my Mk11 version. I will need to go back to the vendor with precise details to make my case ( no pun intended!).

PS I am not sure how to post pics here anyway as the Insert Image link requires an URL and does not allow me to browse and upload.

Also if anyone has a case for the JLC ( a long long shot I know) could they contact me please.

Perhaps a badly polished watch, which has been rechromed?

It is a totally different case. Has been rechromed but the entire shape is not the standard JLC WWW one.

it could be an Aussie JLC WWW mid case; these cases are similar albeit the lugs, bezel profile and finish are quite different - I would assume that the case backs would also be interchangeable.

personally I would prefer a worn brass case rather than a bright heavily rechromed one.

unfortunately the relevant website info page is no longer available but have an image search..

Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeV8 View Post
    I am not sure how to post pics here anyway as the Insert Image link requires an URL and does not allow me to browse and upload.
    here are some instructions for posting images to the forum -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...s-to-the-forum

you cannot post attachments.

or you could try this as there is no need to register -

https://*************

you can otherwise PM me the link to the auction..

Dave

Sent u pm

Sent u pm
    sorry, been away for a bit; here are a couple of the images -

Last edited by dave; 04-12-2017 at 14:40. Reason: grammar.

conclusion -

to my eye the mid case does indeed look like one belongings to an Aussie WWW.

check out the one that Chris has just sold here -

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...oultre-Cal-479

Aussie vs Brit case comparison -

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

Plus it looks to have been polished to within an inch of it's life, before rechroming.

OK - thank you Dave. That is very helpful.

To my eye there is still a difference between Oz and mine - the bezel is quite flat on mine with a raised glass edge. The other looks more domed and integrated with edge of the bezel. However....

So am I correct in saying that the caseback is correct for a WWW DD model but this appears to have had a heavily repolished and rechromed case used from the RAAF version? Would that have ever happened at the MOD as a legit swap (before the heavy-handed restoration). I think hands, dial and movement are all correct for WWW DD model, or is it a RAAF WWW JLC version with an incorrect caseback?!

I need to put a case to the auction house. I guess what I am asking here is was there an intent to deceive as to what the watch should be ( on the part of the seller rather thqn the auction house I should point out) or is this an honest watch that was recased years ago and has gone through an insensitive restoration a few years after? The original catalogue description was in part... "A rare WWII period Jaeger Le Coultre military wristwatch".

Forum feedback is, as ever, much appreciated.

Looks like a reflector ring crystal; these should use a stepped crystal held in by threaded crystal ring. I'd check that the mid case is threaded to accept a threaded crystal ring.

or is it a RAAF WWW JLC version with an incorrect caseback?! ...
    okay - I have given this quite a bit of thought and researched a lot of the old threads on here and the evidence available would suggest to me that you actually have a (rare) Australian (not RAAF) JLC WWW with a replacement British case back; unfortunately this is not of much use to you if you are collecting the twelve..

thanks - assume this requires movement removal? Am reluctant to do anything like that yet in case it goes back...

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    okay - I have given this quite a bit of thought and researched a lot of the old threads on here and the evidence available would suggest to me that you actually have a (rare) Australian (not RAAF) JLC WWW with a replacement British case back; unfortunately this is not of much use to you if you are collecting the twelve..
    Thanks Dave...

This was one of the final parts of the DD 12 jigsaw for me. So frustrating to say the least.

Well it makes me feel a bit better that it is rare rather than something faked up....I guess. Anyone want to trade?! Or have the correct case back for the Oz model?!

Oh the joy of collecting - a never ending source of fun and education. What a wonderful forum this is...

One more thought - do you think a JLC extract from the archive would be worthwhile?
    Last edited by CambridgeV8; 04-12-2017 at 12:21.

Here is my old Aussie JLC WWW for comparison:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...t=aussie%20jlc

Default some more images

Dave - what`s the mov`t serial number..I can`t quite make it out.. If you examine RCAFBuster`s Aussie JLC in the above link you`ll notice that his case back number and the number on mine are very close together. I remember the serial number ranges for the Aussie pieces and Aussie batch were posted before..

I found it thanks to Kerry:

``The English watches were branded WWW but the Australian ones were not, both were issued watches. The English watches had case numbers between 279xxx and 287xxx whilst the Australian watches had case numbers between 293xxx and 294xxx. I have seen numbers from the low 293,s to the high 294,s so probably around 2000 watches in the Australian batch. Some of the Australian watches were sold off immediately after the end of WW2 to Australian returning sevice men, my wifes uncle purchased one of these for 5pound and he still has it..
    Kerry ``

the movement serial number is 320402 which conforms with the Aussie ranges.

the details state that the case back number is 294032 but it is actually 284032.