Thread: Help needed - choice as to IWC Mark II radium dial or tritium dial

Default Help needed - choice as to IWC Mark II radium dial or tritium dial

A few years ago I had my 1957 RAAF Mark11 returned from the IWC Schaffhausen, Switzerland factory after an overhaul with a replacement tritium dial and service lumped hands. Fortunately they returned the original radium dial and the the hands. The radium had fallen out of the hands many long ago. I coloured the original hands to match the radium dial a little time ago and they have been sitting in a cupboard with the dial since.

Recently I have been thinking of putting the original radium dial back into the case with my newly matching hands. I am concerned by the radium, not so much for wearing which I believe should be okay as long as I don't wear it everyday and don't sleep with it on or travel with it (airport security etc). I have heard though that the radium might irradiate my other watches if kept with them in the safe and I am not sure how safe it would be for my watchmaker, though I am sure he would take precautions.

Is there a slim chance that being manufactured in 1957 it might be a tritium dial, though obviously no T on the dial?

My options are

1. Have the serviced tritium dial and Lume hands replaced with radium dial and my original but coloured hands

2. Leave the tritium dial and have the service hands coloured to match

3. Place the original but coloured hands on the tritium dial

4. Leave as is and keep dial away from other watches

I appreciate that it's a very personal choice, but what would you do and why?

The original radium dial and the newly coloured hands:

current service dial and hands

Last edited by Blubarb; 04-10-2017 at 18:25.

I had my IWC Mark XI sent to Schaffhausen as well not too long ago. Made do with the service hands and dial for a good 3 months before I decided that 7 is really throwing me off. I have since replaced them with the originals. Never looked back. The Mark XI is actually on my wrist today, what can I say? Couldn't be happier.

My suggestion is for you to go with the original radium dial and the newly colored hands (p.s. mine is T dialed so I'm safe from radium).

Mandatory picture for illustrative purposes.
    Last edited by Xeer; 04-11-2017 at 02:17.

I guessing as long as you don't sleep with it on, you'll be fine.

And decision made..

Thanks Xeer & Foilguy
    Last edited by Blubarb; 04-13-2017 at 17:37. Reason: change pic size

Right decision - that looks lovely! I would have had the same problem with the wonky 7 as well.
    Question for you - is that a narrow or a wide bonklip?

Quote Originally Posted by Blubarb View Post
    And decision made..

Thanks Xeer & Foilguy
    Good decision my friend.

Default Awesome Mark XI Blubarb & Xeer!

Keep the watch original & show the history!!

Here's the sibling!!