Thread: Smiths W10 crown size

Default Smiths W10 crown size

Am looking into buying one of these beauties but on the one that has captured my attention the crown seems to be at lease twice as thick as 'standard' ones and is much more like the later Hamilton ones - less delicate and more robust. This doesnt seem to be an age related mod as models later than it had the same 'standard' crown. This one is a 68 model.

I can only assume it is non standard after a repair?

It doesnt seem in keeping with the dimensions of the watch

It is not a variant such as a 6B either.

Any ideas folks?

sorry no pics at the moment

There is only one type. Try MWR Memeber Obsoletewatchparts aka John Senior, he used to sell NOS ones.

Thanks. Will do

A Smiths 6B with a non-typical date of /68 was seen on a German forum with a crown that sounds similar. Not a typical crown for the Smiths GS watch though, as already said.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Very early on in my interest in military watches I noticed a '68 Smiths 6B with a larger and thicker crown and thought at the time it might be standard fit on 6B models to make it easier to wind/adjust the crown with flying gloves on. I've not seen one since on a '67 or '68 6B so that initial observation was the exception rather than the rule. It could have possibly been the one in Germany Martin mentioned.

Klarhmt - please post or PM the issue number for reference to the one I have noted.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi

I've seen several Smith's 6B 1968's with larger crowns (& there's a member on here who has 2) although without a pic of the watch its hard to say, it might have a Hamilton 6B crown fitted as I guess Hamilton/Smith 6B's were worked on at the same time/workshop, take a look at this post-
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ighlight=crown

Regards
    Mr.H

I have one with the slightly thicker crown that i think MR.H is referring, it's on a 0552 marked '68 (Left side on both pics). Even though not considered correct, i decided to keep it as it seems age appropriate with rest of watch and I was wondering if it was some small batch MOD service crown? It is not nearly as thick as Hamilton crown (bottom pic).

Hi

I make it the Smiths 6B crowns are 0.5 mm taller than the Smith's W10 crown, the Hamilton 6B crown is 0.5 mm taller than the Smiths-6B crown & the Hamilton H-67 crown about 0.2 mm taller than the Hamilton-6B crown + the H-67 crown has a more pronounced dome (like Michaels Hamilton G.S crown)

From the haul of 150+ Smiths W10's direct from the MOD not one had a larger crown, but it seems 50% of the people who have Navy/RAF Smiths mention the crown being larger than usual ..

Regards
    Mr.H

5 different crowns? Ye gods.

I'll have to subject my Smiths W10 and 6B to the callipers when I get back home tomorrow now, just to check.....

If it's any help, my 50x/67 6B and 190x/67 W10 (bought unissued) have the same crown (2.00mm milled section). Legend has it these were milled on gear cutting lathes; the teeth are however V-form, not gear-tooth form.

It may well be that the Navy batch (1968) was an extension of the RAF order and that later W10 crowns were outsourced? Who knows?!