Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Not to Advertise a Watch on Ebay - Smiths Everest

Default How Not to Advertise a Watch on Ebay - Smiths Everest

Trolling through ebay as you do I came across an item which was simply listed as "Watch" with a not so flattering photo. Unless you recognised the watch box and had some knowledge of Smiths watches you probably wouldn't have even gone into the listing. So I spent the next 7 days wondering if anyone else had recognised the watch was actually a Smiths Everest in a 9CT gold Dennison Aquatite case. As you can see from the completed listing below luckily no-one else did yet a simple google search would have led you to the same watch for sale at Smiths Watches for 1750 pounds. So thank you to all the Smiths collectors for your valuable reference material. A question I have is would the strap be the original.

Good score! Strap certainly looks period but hard to say if it's actually the original one. It's also on upside down.

The crown is correct (i.e. original to the watch) and judging by the general condition of the whole set I'd say it was kept for best and is a low milage example, which in turn suggests to me that the strap is, indeed, original. I'm surprised it doesn't have a matching gold (plated) buckle though.

It's interesting that solid 9ct gold Dennison Aquatite cases appear as late as this (c.1962-64) long after Smiths stopped using the chrome / ss ones (in abut 1956/7-ish). I suspect Dennison stopped making the other sort earlier but carried on with the gold ones.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

A bargain!

At the risk of starting WW.III, is the strap upside down as it's fitted in Australia?! Ouch!!

Is the case Dennison, or a Shackman-made Dennison after Dennison closed? (Can't remember which year off the top of my bald head).

"'m surprised it doesn't have a matching gold (plated) buckle"

appears it is, just worn...

Nice find, congrats!
    msa6712
    Z-7

Nice score doormat........ Yes, some people just don't try, I was trolling around Ebay Germany and found my Traser Black Storm Pro listed as just 'Uhr', was only one of two bidders (other only bid once) and got it for just over $100.

well done.

the seller's other items aren't listed any better either -

another watch; collectibles, model car, backpack..

I've seen those sewn-on (and sometimes "set-at-a-jaunty-angle-just-to-piss-off-the-RSM") leather keepers in old Smiths adverts and catalogues so I'm going to say it is the original strap.
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. Watch is still in transit so I will have a good look at it when it arrives early next week. I did ask the seller if he had any other older watches but said no and that he generally deals in 1:43 scale models. The watch was just something his wife had. So may have been in the family for quite a while.

Chris
    Last edited by Flyingdoormat; 04-05-2017 at 14:56.

didn't realise that you hadn't got it yet as I was thinking that the case looked more like gold plate rather than 9K - however if it is indeed 9K then the case is very heavy and it weighs about 18 grams so the scrap value will work out to be pretty much what you paid for the watch in total.

fingers crossed..
    Last edited by dave; 04-05-2017 at 15:17.

Dave

My assumption is based on the watch I refer to on the Smiths Watches site which is identical. If you have a look there is a gold plated version listed above it but case is completely different

The drilled lugs are a good sign; the plated ones tend not to have them. And it does look like a gold DA case . . . . If so it's very good score; if not then it's still a good deal albeit significantly less so: you've only paid maybe half, maybe a third, of what it might have fetched.* Still, don't go counting your chickens too soon.

Looking at the pictures I think the strap is not on upside down; the problem is that the WATCH is upside down.

*The gold DA's are lovely but Smiths in gold plated cases generally fetch less than a good chrome-plated or stainless-steel one, the exception being perhaps the A420 engineers' watch. Even really nice solid gold Smiths with 18j movements often go for less than a good expeditionary (screw-back case, lumed Arabic dial) chrome-plated 1215 or 27CS De Luxe.

Thanks Revo

I will be back in Perth from work next Tuesday. Watch should have arrived by then and will post an update hopefully confirming gold case

Re Dennison, I have Shackmans taking them over in 1967... does anyone know more about this and the extent of the former Dennison range that Shackmans produced?

Interest/value in gold/gold-plate certainly seems to be driven by fashion and the value of gold. I'd never consider selling a watch case for melting down! Sacrilege!!

The quality of gold plating on Smiths watches does seem to vary widely - I don't buy watch-cases with worn 'flash plating' though made an exception for a 20-micron MINGOLD plated Engineers which has suffered some annoying flaking. These seem to vary between 12-20micron thickness (its stamped between the lugs) - they are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenellic2000 View Post
    Re Dennison, I have Shackmans taking them over in 1967... does anyone know more about this and the extent of the former Dennison range that Shackmans produced?

Interest/value in gold/gold-plate certainly seems to be driven by fashion and the value of gold. I'd never consider selling a watch case for melting down! Sacrilege!!

The quality of gold plating on Smiths watches does seem to vary widely - I don't buy watch-cases with worn 'flash plating' though made an exception for a 20-micron MINGOLD plated Engineers which has suffered some annoying flaking. These seem to vary between 12-20micron thickness (its stamped between the lugs) - they are rare.
    Yes, iirc Dennison stopped trading in 1966 -- at least I think that's when their Birmingham plant closed.

I have a lovely A420 Engineers' watch with "20 Microns" between the lugs; it has a few issues with the keyless works but when I took it apart I was amazed by that soft iron anti-magnetic chapter ring, really cool and clever design.

I took some pics while the case was in the ultrasonic bath, I'll post them up later. Anyway, it will be for sale soon enough so there'll be pics aplenty on the PX.

Caleb Wade has done a full strip down on one here:

https://amateurwatchmaking.com/2014/...ic-wristwatch/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoormat View Post
    Dave

My assumption is based on the watch I refer to on the Smiths Watches site which is identical. If you have a look there is a gold plated version listed above it but case is completely different
    Don't take the similarity in dial etc as meaning they are necessarily in the same case; Smiths did lots of dials and lots of cases and mix and matched them so many combinations are possible!

Also, there is an uncommon but extant DA case that is gold-plated but with a ss screw back (there's on on eBay at the moment as it happens). Then there's at least two solid 9ct gold DA versions (one with a much deeper back and key slots closer together towards the middle, as per the "56" re-cases and Smiths GS De Luxe, but in gold).

But even if it's the worst case (sorry) scenario -- i.e. a relatively cheap BWC or SCW in gold-plate with a snap-back -- you have still done VERY well: an Everest with the "Explorer" 3,6,9 dial and a nice 19j Imperial cal. 0104 movement.

Just thought I would follow up now that I have received the watch. Case confirmed as DA solid 9ct gold with identifying stamp on lug. Outer box has E.506 sticker for model number. No marks on case back so hasn't seen a lot of wear. At this stage chosen not to take case back off to view hallmark. Only a few scratches to the glass which should polish off. Watch strap is open end type with faded brand mark too hard to make out so not sure if original but now fitted correctly.

l would suggest this is unlikely the original strap... the gap beween the strap and lugs is 'large' for a watchmaker-fitted strap... or if it is original it is well worn at the lugs which conflicts with the lack of wear on the case-back. Besides, the watch case, having drilled through lugs, would not ordinarily be fitted with a cheap clasp-type open ended strap!

Talking about badly advertised watches on the Bay, it reminds me (very painfully) of the White 12 IWC dial that was just advertized as old International Watch dial. I still have have nightmares about the moment I stumbled on this to realize the auction had ended a day before....I jumped out of the window....of the ground floor

I once bought A Tatimo Chronograph off ebay. (tutima)

I found a quite nice Enicar Shreya Graph at the end of last year...

Great score on the Smiths !