Thread: CWC W10 a good value?

Default CWC W10 a good value?

Gents,

I am brand new to this forum but have been lurking for quite a while. My modest collection of military/aviation watches consists of my old USAF watches (GG-W-113s), my old Rolex GMT, and my father's Hamilton 4992B Master Navigation pocket watch. I was a pilot and he was a bombardier/navigator... in different eras, obviously.

So, my questions for all are...are the many quartz CWC W10 watches for sale on Ebay for quite reasonable prices actually military surplus or what? Does one of these watches need a W10 or other code before the 6645-99 NATO number to make it authentic? Most seem to have their battery hatches a bit bunged up, but otherwise the photos look very nice. And, many descriptions state "keeps good time". A quartz watch should keep better time than good, I would think. Regardless, the W10 appears to be a sturdy device and perhaps worth the money? Opinions, please.

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

Regards,

RPB
    Winter Park, Florida

Good question.
    In the older days of this Forum, CWC's were traded around a lot, along with Marathons, they were almost like an underground currency (those were the days).
    The CWC's are excellent kit. It appears there were quite a few made for the Royal Navy in 1989 & i've owned a few.
    Anchor Supplies in the UK sold a lot of them, may still do. So do Silvermans in the U.K.

Default As Drew said....

Excellent kit, better than the current Pulsar issues (though I like mine), uses a nice ETA quartz movement. I use mine (also an 89 issue, RN 0552 but last issued to a friend in the British Army) a lot.

Mahalo,

Andy

In true milwatch fashion they are very legible, robust a reliable in my experience. My only possibly negative comment is that they can wear a bit small on the wrist if you are a bigger chap. I would recommend an early thick case (or so called "fatboy") if this is a concern.
    Smiths 0552 1968
    CWC G10 1984
    CWC RN 1994
    CWC SBS 2001
    Seiko Gen 1 RAF 1984
    Seiko Gen 2 RAF 1993
    Pulsar Gen 1 RAF 2008
    Leonidas GSTP Pocket Watch

Cracking little watches for the money. The Fatboys are the nicest but more expensive, and more likely to have issues with the movement(which are no longer available) if they haven't been serviced. The later slim cased versions have a widely available and cost effective to replace ETA movement. I prefer the tritium dials with are more often than not a nice butterscotch colour by now giving them more character.

If you buy for a good price there isn't much risk with them, as long as the case, dial and hands are in good shape you should be good to go.

Should you find a nice condition fatboy non runner you could always do as I did and replace the movement for an ISA 1198 which fits perfectly and you'd only need to either crimp the second hand or get a more recent one to replace it with. Then the case back would need to be fitted upside down to keep the easy access battery compartment lined up. Some might sniff a bit at this but I'm happy with it and have a spare movement should I ever require it(they're available for around a 10 each) so I can wear it daily relaxed.

Thank you all for this good information. One last question: Do these watches hack, I mean stop completely for accurate setting off of a known time source?

in short, yes..

Rolex GMT & Hamilton GG-W-113......You must've flown during the Vietnam era.
    You'll love the CWC though.

Good eye there, Mr. Morritt. Yes, I'm older than dirt. 362nd Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron, flying EC-47s (Dakotas) out of Da Nang Air Base. The airplanes were mostly built around 5 years before I was. Quite an interesting transition from supersonic T-38 trainers to the Gooney Bird...just goes to show you how well I did in AF flight school. Ha!

Loved reading the history of Spooky's & Spectre's. Gotta love the DC-3 Airframe. Bet you flew at night a lot. GMT Master was an excellent choice of a watch.
    Didi you buy it stateside or from the Pacific Exchange?

Bought it in Columbus, Mississippi, for a whopping $320. Wore it for about two weeks in VN then mailed it back home. I was too afraid I would lose it or it would get lost for me, if you get my drift.

Stating the obvious, but worth more than $320 today. Especially if you wore it as an AF Pilot in Vietnam, even if you sent it back after only two weeks.
    if you're able too, post some pics of it here on the Forum.
    ......It'll scare the Hive.