Thread: Bob, three and a half years ago you advised…

Default Bob, three and a half years ago you advised…

the M4 Carbine for home defense. Now there is a news story from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma that a man defended himself from three home invaders with an AR-15! Three dead and one more in custody charged with multiple felonies. I’m back in the market for a “black rifle”. The link to your post in September 2013:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ob-a-question…

Patrick: I would say that Bob's response is gold if you are using 55 gr ammunition. 62 gr green tip was designed to penetrate Russian helmets at 300 meters. I would suspect that they would go through a house with ease. In Vietnam my 11B friends had some tales to tell about how the 55 gr tore people up. My AR is an old 1980s build and I use the 1/12 Colt USGI chrome lined barrel which loves 55 gr ammunition. That's all I shoot is 55s. I guess that the best way to look at this stuff is that every time you pull a trigger your name's on that round. Or, if it saves your life or the life of your family, who cares? By the way Pat, when you get your AR let me know, I'll send you a couple of 30 round GI mags that I've owned for 30+ years because the Politburo here in Kalif is going to confiscate them by July of this year. Ms Harris's/ Gavin Newsom's KGB thinks that we are the cause of their perfect dream world going to shit.

Patrick;
    I've owned several Colt AR's over the years but recently took the plunge and purchased a Ruger AR 556 when the local LGS was running a sale on them. It comes as a pretty stripped down version, but the quality level seems excellent. Just one more candidate for you to add to your list. Given the increase in home invasions involving multiple invaders, I'm thinking about keeping one at the ready with a 30 rounder myself. I used to feel well armed with a 1911.
    Tom

I've read that the AR market is saturated. Apparently the manufacturers were expecting a win from Clinton which would have triggered a huge sales opportunity. Anyway, the time to buy is good, market is flooded and cheap. I've heard heard good things about Ruger and S&W ARs. They are pretty much all the same parts most made by the same company. Top end stuff is White Oak, Lewis, and Daniel Defense $$$$. Colts are good and reasonable my son just bought a M4 Colt for under $700. Ammunition is also pretty cheap now. IMI and Seller Beliot. 223. 9mm is down to $107 per 1000.

Belated reply, but my belief hasn't changed. As Dave said, I carry M193 55 grain 5.56 rounds. They do the job and don't overly penetrate. Of all the ARs I have I like my Colt 6920 the best, though, I also like LMT, Daniel Defense, Noveske, and LWRC.
    the Order of the Escopeta Recortada with Crossed Grappling Hooks

Standard loads for 55 grain bullets out of a 16" barrel will still penetrate several interior walls in a house, and only masonry exterior walls will stop them (but, they will put a hole in one side of a concrete block).

So, be cognizant of you field of fire in case you need to use it.