Thread: Longines Czech Pilots watch flies in...

Default Longines Czech Pilots watch flies in...

Evening all,

Latest addition is this Longines Czech aviators wristwatch. I pasted on one a while back and regretted it so although it is by no means perfect I just couldn't let it go...just love the history behind these watches.

So it's an early one with thick porcelain dial and 15.94 cal, beautiful reliable time keeper, movement no. 546.... dating to around 1936. Huge 40mm case and caseback with two screws. 24mm lugs. Matching numbers on inside caseback and lugs.. no rear caseback markings which wasn't uncommon on these earlier ones.. inner rotating bezel. It has a real presence on the wrist and is a joy to wear as you can actually hear the thing ticking. After all there is a big old pocket watch movement in there.

Enjoy.

It's been a good couple of Longines months...

Added this one in February..

Regards,

Nick.

I like that. What's the case size on the Czech Longines or how does it compare to the WWW?

About my biggest watch related regret was selling mine in the early noughties. Very similar early non stamped one to yours, though not as in good condition and the crown IIRC was a replacement. Gorgeous watch. Huge too, so has that "modern fashion" feel going on.
    Careful now....

A great addition.
    These are still undervalued in my mind.
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I like that. What's the case size on the Czech Longines or how does it compare to the WWW?
    Hi,
    The Czech is huge in comparison to the WWW.
    Nick.

That's very nice nick. Perhaps we can use this thread to get members to upload images of there CAF's ? I've a later unmarked Longines Czech, which i'm guessing must be 10 years later than yours, these watches must of been very very popular. I've read on an old thread on TZ-UK thread, that longines will say whether the watch has been issued to the Military or not, regardless of markings, if you email them the details.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    That's very nice nick. Perhaps we can use this thread to get members to upload images of there CAF's ? I've a later unmarked Longines Czech, which i'm guessing must be 10 years later than yours, these watches must of been very very popular. I've read on an old thread on TZ-UK thread, that longines will say whether the watch has been issued to the Military or not, regardless of markings, if you email them the details.
    Well as of last week I am in the CAF Club, albeit with a lowly and troublesome example. I think I can sort the hour and minute hands out (with a hat-tip to a very helpful member over on OF), but not sure about the seconds hand and actually a small part of the movement seems to be missing too. Dial also has a heavy handed 9 and paint loss on the 4, but other than that is quite nice. It was sold without a caseback shot so at least I got lucky there.

I love mine also..... my 15.94 cal. all matching

[IMG][/IMG]
    A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

here are mine:

That is a very interesting collection indeed Paul. Impressive!
    Cheers. Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    here are mine:

Comparison for you.

Regards,
    Nick.

Thanks, I was hoping you'd do that ;-)

Why are some stamped/engraved on the back but others are plain?
    Last edited by trident-7; 03-20-2017 at 15:16.

Watch was a civilian purchase as well.

Thanks, I was hoping you'd do that ;-)

Why are some stamped/engraved on the back but others are plain?
    A number of early (pre WW2) Longines Czech 15.94 calibers are thought to have been ordered by the Czech ministry of aviation and rushed into service circa 1936-38 without caseback stamping. The early 15.94 Longines Czech's tended to be the porcelain dial with non magnetic movement not making them very suitable for the rigours of combat flying but they were most definitely in service with the Czech airforce during WW2 and there are plenty of pictures of the Czech pilots wearing the watch.
    As supply caught up with demand they started to be stamped and dial and movements were modified. As Paul says there was a civilian market too.
    Regards,
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    A number of early (pre WW2) Longines Czech 15.94 calibers are thought to have been ordered by the Czech ministry of aviation and rushed into service circa 1936-38 without caseback stamping.
    Nick.
    Quite true. Apparently, it has been also the case for the first batches with the 15.26Z caliber supplied in the last part of 1938.