Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cyma WWW lume, Radium or Tritium?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    139

    Default Cyma WWW lume, Radium or Tritium?

    I try to figure out the lume material on cyma WWWs
    is it correct that all of them made with Radium lume but later relume with Tritium by MOD?
    thats why I always see theres like two type of lumes?
    most obvious the hands lume, they comes with normal size and a fatter lume
    (or I was wrong? there's no such thing?)

    like these two from my watch buds

    are these two with two diff lume material or not?

    thanks in advance




  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Thats a good question, I'll be waiting for an answer too as I think this watch is going to be next on my list.

    I also noticed the flat and fatter hands. But i always assumed all the greenish/whitish lume to be MOD tritium, and original radium to be the dark brown/orange ones?

  3. #3
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,905

    Default

    the original 1945 factory dial and hands would have been lumed with radium.

    later on the radium lume on the dial and hands was replaced with tritium lume.

    here's my opinion on the two watches posted -

    both watches are fine.

    in both cases it would appear that the lume has been upgraded to tritium lume.

    the hands on both watches are the same - the bottom one has what I call a fat finger relume.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    139

    Default

    so fat or flat lumes dosent indicate the lume material on Cymas
    then how to differentiate them ?
    patina color? Radium is dark orange/red ?

    thanks guys anyway

    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    the original 1945 factory dial and hands would have been lumed with radium.

    later on the radium lume on the dial and hands was replaced with tritium lume.

    here's my opinion on the two watches posted -

    both watches are fine.

    in both cases it would appear that the lume has been upgraded to tritium lume.

    the hands on both watches are the same - the bottom one has what I call a fat finger relume.

  5. #5
    Member Reintitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkrishna View Post
    so fat or flat lumes dosent indicate the lume material on Cymas
    then how to differentiate them ?
    patina color? Radium is dark orange/red ?

    thanks guys anyway
    You'll have to get a radiation (Geiger) meter (Radex, etc) and measure the radiation coming off the watch.

    Tritium has a half-life of around 12.5 years so should be much but not entirely depleted by now if it was applied to the dial and hands 60+ years ago. Also the beta radiation emitted by tritium decay can't pass the crystal so the radiation meter should barely be able to detect any radiation if it is tritium.

    Radium on the other hand has a half-life of 1,600 years and should still be quite hot and most worrisome is that the gamma radiation emitted by radium decay can easily pass through the crystal and into skin.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    Radium on the other hand has a half-life of 1,600 years and should still be quite hot and most worrisome is that the gamma radiation emitted by radium decay can easily pass through the crystal and into skin.
    I wonder about wearing a watch with original radium lume regularly. Obviously the MoD was concerned enough to relume all watches still in regular use.

    If a watch is staying in a case or on display it's one thing, but if you are using it on a routine basis Is the radioactive properties of radium something to actually be concerned about?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    139

    Default

    about health problem
    I suppose we shouldnt be so worry as I guess all of members here
    dont wear a same piece all the time?
    I personally swap pieces everyday

  8. #8
    Senior Member papazulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkrishna View Post
    about health problem
    I suppose we shouldnt be so worry as I guess all of members here
    dont wear a same piece all the time?
    I personally swap pieces everyday
    You'd be surprised what radiation dose comes out of a Mil-Watch, about the hottest I've seen and measured came out of a Hamilton 987A...look at the radiation burns on the dial, I'd rather not show you what I measured with a Gamma-Scout
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by papazulu View Post
    You'd be surprised what radiation dose comes out of a Mil-Watch, about the hottest I've seen and measured came out of a Hamilton 987A...look at the radiation burns on the dial, I'd rather not show you what I measured with a Gamma-Scout
    woah you are in big risk
    please send the watch to me

  10. #10
    Member isologue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtle View Post
    I wonder about wearing a watch with original radium lume regularly. Obviously the MoD was concerned enough to relume all watches still in regular use.

    If a watch is staying in a case or on display it's one thing, but if you are using it on a routine basis Is the radioactive properties of radium something to actually be concerned about?
    Remember that MoD and other authorities were worried about the *cumulative* effect of radium when many sources were stored in the same place - not necessarily just watches, but other instruments too. This is not to underestimate the harmful effects of radium at all (and, with that in mind, you might want to consider storing your *collection* of radium emitters in a lead lined box rather than a glass cabinet.....) Inhaling radium or ingesting it is of course very dangerous, but personally I don't worry about the occasional radium source strapped to my wrist so long as the crystal provides a seal and the radium is intact. Not that I am an expert.

    Regards,

    Martin (isologue)

  11. #11
    Moderator Syrte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    There have been several discussions about the possible health effects of radium, one of them you will find by searching the words "radioactive" and "bulova"... lots of info (and good jokes) in there, including links to highly technical discussions.
    Best regards,
    S

  12. #12
    Senior Member papazulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkrishna View Post
    woah you are in big risk
    please send the watch to me
    You may not joke after you have seen this?
    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

  13. #13
    Moderator Revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Is 60.24 high? I have no idea but I guess it must be.

    Been wearing a radium dial all week . . . .

    I need a NATO strap lined with lead foil . . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

  14. #14
    Super Moderator dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    6,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Been wearing a radium dial all week . . . .

    I need a NATO strap lined with lead foil . . . .
    there will be much more emissions through the crystal rather than through the case back.

    best not to walk around too much with your hands in your pockets either..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Is 60.24 high? I have no idea but I guess it must be.

    Been wearing a radium dial all week . . . .

    I need a NATO strap lined with lead foil . . . .
    Yes, it is.

    60.24 microSv/h => 527milliSv/yr

    Normal exposure for most of us is approx 3-6 milliSv/yr depending on where we live. A quick google shows that a single chest xray gives you 0.02milliSv, so wearing that watch all year would give you a dose equivalent to 26000 chest X-rays, albeit localised on your wrist.....

    I posted this some time ago which you might find interesting:

    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...before-bedtime

  16. #16
    Member doretta59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    89

    Unhappy I...

    grew up not far from where the United States Radium Corporation of Orange, New Jersey deposited pitchblende into fields where homes were eventually built. The area became a Superfund site in the 1980s, where a number of homes were razed and/or excavated to remove the tainted soil. This went on for a number of years until the area was "clean". Certainly do not want to mess with the affects of radiation, scary indeed!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by papazulu View Post
    You may not joke after you have seen this?

    Haha

  18. #18
    Senior Member papazulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    I have been measuring a few other watches which are in my possession, even hotter than my Hamilton, the ATP watches are by far the most dangerous, radiating at an incredible ...


    Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •