Thread: Cyma WWW - Stabilise Original Lume, or Relume ?

Default Cyma WWW - Stabilise Original Lume, or Relume ?

Finally got my Cyma over to John Senior, and whilst it looks quite nice, the original lume apparently looks very fragile. John has suggested trying to stabilize it with matt varnish, but of course no guarantees it won't just fall off sooner rather than later. So can I ask here, is it better to preserve originality at all costs, or better just to get it sorted for the long term with a relume ? And do you imagine the decision would influence saleability in the future, as there's a chance it might be moved on over the summer ?

Last edited by dave; 03-18-2017 at 10:53. Reason: fixed image.

Preservation > Restoration.

Not sure if it's just me, but I can't see my own photo.

The one I tried to attach is this one.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...l=1#post232323

If it's this watch then you'll be reluming the hands anyway. Might as well get the dial done at the same time.

Yeah that's it, and the hands will need doing. If the dial was left with original lume then John would try and match it in the hands, although it will be hard to get it exactly right. I want to tread carefully as it's such a nice dial.

that really is damn nice.

if it was mine I certainly wouldn't want to have the dial messed about with.

but please don't get me wrong 'cos JS would do an excellent job.

you should take his advice - but if it ain't broke why fix it..

Well this isn't much use, three comments and three different answers

My problem is that I have zero personal experience with this, so not much idea. On balance I think the relume option can be crossed off the list, so either leave completely alone or try to stabilize. I'll talk with John next week and see what he says.

When the Cyma was originally posted to me it was just loose in a very lightly padded envelope, and the lume survived the trip, and it just survived the trip to John from Germany, so I suppose it can't be that fragile.

I'd agree with Dave leave as original if functional as possible. I purchased the last one to sell on the PX the other day and the original Radium dial was a big plus when making my decision to buy.

The dial looks fine the way it is. Honest patina and the lume doesn't look like it's crumbling off. I would leave as is as originality > condition (and the condition ain't bad at all in the case of this dial).

And since you might be moving it on in the near future, definitely don't do anything to the dial (or the hands for that matter). Just get it serviced by John Senior and replace the gaskets.

Thanks for all the replies guys

OK so I think I'll leave the dial as is, but is it really better to leave the hands alone too ? I guess it's nice for the buyer to have the choice, but it would cost them a lot more to get it done than it would cost me now (as the watch is already sitting on the bench of a repairer). Plus shipping again, risk of loss, etc.

no, definitely have the hands done now - JS will be able to do a pretty close match.

anyway as we all know dial lume and hand lume often ages to different tones.

when it comes back really nice it will possibly be a keeper..

Well it's gone with my CWC non-lume chrono which is a keeper (it's even a birth year one by luck), but I think I'll eventually settle with one dirty-dozen watch and that will hopefully be one of the two IWCs I am trying to fix up. But who knows...