Thread: ATP Watch

Default ATP Watch

Hi Guys

I recently purchased the attached ATP watch which I am interested to learn more about, including its value - can you help please?

The strap is a modern replacement so I would also welcome your thoughts regarding the original (issued) one so that I can change it - its colour, type etc.

To assist you with this, I have attached a couple of photos of the watch, one of the front and the other the reverse.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance with this matter.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

That's a nice example and here are some posts via the Search Function which may be of interest:

Bobsy's excellent reference site: http://www.bobsy.name/ATPs/Main.html

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ight=revue+atp

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...ight=revue+atp

Thanks lambstew - that's really helpful.

Wasn't sure whether it was genuine and if so, when it was issued?

Also, what the original strap looked like and, most importantly, whether I had paid too much?

Any ideas?

I'm not an ATP collector per say so I'm not the best person to ask about a value for the Revue. Obviously condition plays a big part in determining value since many ATP's such as yours had plated cases. Very roughly speaking, ATP's can range anywhere in price from $250-$500 (or more) depending on the manufacture and condition. ATP's were issued during WW2 prior to 1945 and before the circa 1945 WWW models began to appear. The original strap was likely a brown or black clip on leather strap..

Value would also depend on movement (which we can't see) and originality (dial has been refinished but whether by MOD or not I can't tell - the Revue 57 had a very distinctive heavy italic dial design). I agree with lambstew's strap suggestion, possibly throw in a webbing strap especially for hot/humid conditions, but I don't recall seeing many pictures of these watches in action, so we don't really know.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Thanks Martin - I am new to this!

Does the refinished dial seriously affect the collectibility of the watch?

How can you tell if this was done by the MOD, and if so, when and why is it likely that would they have undertaken this work?

It depends if MoD refinished it or not really. There are many examples of refinished ATP dials that look consistent but there's no agreement as to whether MoD did them or Bravingtons (for surplus disposal) or somebody else. I have a couple of refinished ATP dials that don't bother me but the only safe thing to say is that you can't go wrong with an original dial. A refinished dial just throws a variable into the mix.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)