Thread: Does anyone own this book?

Default Does anyone own this book?

The Concise Guide to Military Timepieces 1880-1990
    byZ Wesolowski

New to vintage watches and was wondering if this a good book to buy. Is there another book That is better for american military watches from WW2 to current?
    Thanks.

Yes. It's a great affordable intro. But basic black and white photos and some of the information is now out of date (especially the prices) based on the market and this forum's information and discoveries. BUT if you want to learn about the watches and their concise history you really really need to take the plunge and buy either or both of the Knirim books depending on your field of interest. They are big, impressive and the photos are superb. I have the British Mil book at is is truly invaluable.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-I-amp-Vol-II)

Military timepieces by Whitney best one on US military clocks and watches and any thing time related even chronometers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Military-Time.../dp/0918845149

Thanks for your reply. Just curious. Beside the prices does the actual watch history and technical specs in the book I had asked about remain the same. As per the books you have recommended does one specialize in books from one era and another from another. I am not sure I want any watch prior to WW2Out of the two books which one focuses on watches ww2 and on. Thanks for your info. I really appreciate it.

Thanks. Will be looking at this for sure. Any suggestions on books for watch repair and does it make a difference on where the Watch comes from?

Both books look at the history of military watches, the Knirim books DO NOT HAVE PRICES, but they are truly exhaustive in all matters relating to all watches from all eras. Especially WW1 ans WW2

They are exceptional resources. Proud to own them

I think that ZMW is still the best general introduction, with a nice selection of interesting watches across the whole subject, nations, and time periods. Ignore the prices - even relative prices. A lot of the information is now considered to be wrong or incomplete, but it is still widely quoted so you need it to understand the 'originating myths' of the field.

KK's books are an assemblage of original photos and secondary material. Their main value I think lies in being a really comprehensive photographic reference (a photographic documentation) but beware: fakes lurk even in those pages. Only covers British and German timepieces. We may never see books like this published in hard copy again.

Whitney is still the best for US military timepieces but its coverage is huge, as RR says, and wristwatches confined to a smallish section. It is written by a master watch and clock maker. The definitive book you are looking for is still being written by Mr D (as he appears on MWR) but he's a busy man I understand.

Only my opinions but I hope they help.

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

worth pointing out the KK's book on British Mil Timepieces has a large section at the end of watches from the Commonwealth, France and Japan. All very useful indeed.