Thread: Thor Heyerdahl - Kontiki - Longines COSD

Default Thor Heyerdahl - Kontiki - Longines COSD

This was news to me, and potentially interesting to the COSD owners on here.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/did-...igation.54611/

Apologies if it's old news and already well known, couldn't find a thread about it though.

Default COSD

the above image belongs to kippyk on OF.

Well knock me down with a feather duster.........Now that's something.

So given the expedition was 1947, it seems likely these where given by the British MOD, as waterproof watches?

Mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    So given the expedition was 1947, it seems likely these where given by the British MOD, as waterproof watches?
    I've been saying for a while now that the COSD strikes me as being designed obviously as a waterproof watch. What evidence is there that these were EVER intended for use by paratroopers apart from ZMW's blurb of c 1996?

I suppose the myth is too deeply seated now to dislodge, like the 'IWC Mark X Spitfire Pilot's watch' - pah!

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

I guess the reality maybe that it was both. The ultimate special forces watch of the time. Jumping out of planes or swimming ashore.

Regarding the photo's definitely not the COSD. Wonder if Advertising played it's part even then? Regardless, you'd think the museum would of received the watch off the estate of one of the crew, or been given it by them.
    Last edited by foilguy; 03-14-2017 at 05:40.

Dishing out the food, watch on inner wrist? Big leap of faith though.

Default 1947

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    it seems likely these where given by the British MOD, as waterproof watches?
    hmmm; not necessarily..

more conjecture -

two of the Kon-Tiki expedition crew, Knut Haugland and Torstein Raaby, were members of the Norwegian resistance during WW2 so it is not inconceivable that the COSD watch was used by one of these two gentlemen and retained after the war.

both men were radio operators and Torstein Raaby was a member of the SIS.

so there still could be some mileage in the SIS/SOE - paratrooper - radio operator theory..

sorry Martin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_Haugland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torstein_Raaby

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    hmmm; not necessarily..
    so there still could be some mileage in the SIS/SOE - paratrooper - radio operator theory..
    sorry Martin.
    Ah yes the 'the SIS/SOE - paratrooper - radio operator theory' - wasn't thinking of that one, I must admit. Just the one about the COSD being specially designed for British paratroopers who dropped on D-Day and at Arnhem (when the only documented watches used were Moeris ATPs and possibly the odd 6B/159). A COSD being used for combined operations (including SOE) is perfectly within scope to my thinking. Still conjecture, as you say. (The Rev might want to intervene on the Norwegian Resistance angle though).

Regards,

Martin (isologue)

Default As a KonTiki collector . . .

. . . I corresponded with Haugland about fifteen years ago. He was reserved at first while trying to get Eterna to do some sponsoring for the museum, but when that fell through, he was open with me.

1. Haugland was the last survivor of the 1947 voyage.
    2. He could confirm that they did not wear Eterna watches. There was no official watch.
    3. He did not report any watches worn by the members of the crew.
    4. The COSD was not on display when I visited the KonTiki Museum in Oslo in 2006.
    5. The KonTiki book says US military equipment was offered for the voyage.
    6. Knut Haugland was a true hero, gentleman, and deserves our admiration.
    7. I'll try to correspond with the Museum.
    Bill in Sacramento

Quote Originally Posted by isologue View Post
    Just the one about the COSD being specially designed for British paratroopers who dropped on D-Day and at Arnhem...
    yes, I'm very much against the D-Day and Arnhem airborne theories also.

however use by SIS/SOE for covert operations seems quite plausible.

there would be a requirement for an accurate, shockproof and waterproof watch -

for covert parachute landings, amphibious operations and timed radio communications.

unfortunately again just more conjecture..
    Last edited by dave; 03-14-2017 at 10:11. Reason: grammar.

current Eterna marketing -

Strapped to his wrist, each Kon-Tiki crew member carried an Eterna timepiece, the contribution of one of the few watch manufacturers of the day to have truly mastered watchcase watertightness...
    Equipped with only the most rudimentary of instruments - except for a radio and six Eterna timepieces...

My understanding of SOE / Milorg operations in Norway during WW2 was that they had civilian kit, for obvious reasons.

Officers and men of the Free Norwegian Forces serving in Kompani Linge and, later, 5 (Norwegian) Troop 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando had to have standard British army issued stuff. They were given British names and cover / back stories and reluctantly removed their "Norge" flag patches and "Norway" flashes on ops so that if killed or captured there wouldn't be reprisals.

I loved the Kon Tiki book as a child and later on learned about the Eterna watches; on Norwegian watches I often believed that an Eterna Kon Tiki or a "SAS" (Scandinavian Airlines System -- i.e. civilian carrier) Polerouter are about as "Norwegian" as you'll get. I often wear a Smiths on a Norwegian flag NATO as a nod to my dual heritage, like so:

Or then there's these:

https://www.facebook.com/radiuminstruments/

But their website seems not to be up at the moment . . . .
    "Early this year I saw ex-army watches exhibited in a showcase at a little under 4 each. A week or two later I succeeded in buying one of them for 5. Recently their price seems to have risen to 8." (George Orwell, "As I Please", Tribune, 29th November 1946)

Don't forget that the watch was not the only bit of WW2 special kit..... they also had a suitcase radio.......... they probably looked around and picked up quite a few ex-military/resistance items for the expedition.
    cheers, John

I'm getting seasick over this discussion I'm about to fatu hiva......

wave goodbye to this thread then..

Before traveling to Fatu Hiva have a look at this:

Sold for 40 pounds 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by east Al; 03-15-2017 at 13:50.

Quote Originally Posted by east Al View Post
    Before traveling to Fatu Hiva have a look at this:

Sold for 40 pounds 2 weeks ago.
    Love it. Great catch for someone. And now the next stage of the hunt begins ( unless the the inards are ready and waiting! ) Brings back memories....

Regards,

Nick.

These things do have a habit of surfacing. The migratory habits of a COSD case.