Thread: Jaeger LeCoultre

Default Jaeger LeCoultre

Hello all, can any of your more knowledgeable members tell me if there is a correct designation such as a MK11 or A7 for this type of Jaeger shown in this link. I have seem several articles but none seem to be definitive. Thank you CR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-WW2...-/271757205803

Well, it's not a Mk VII. It's an American watch, presumably civilian since it has no markings to suggest otherwise.

Hello rodabod and thanks for your input. I understand from various articles that Zaf Basha has done extensive research on this type of watch. Has it ever been published on this site and have any conclusion been drawn. I am not sure that because of the lack of military case markings it means its for civi use. The Case is of particular interest being made of either staybrite steel/stainless with a iron core to enhance its anti magnetic capabilities. CR

I haven't seen any of Zaf's research on this model. There's also a 24hr dial version for the American market which uses the stainless "MkVII" case which I own. I would be interested in buying one of those other American types like you posted if one was for sale.

24hr dial:

Military WW2 Jaeger LeCoultre Mark VII A2 Pilot Watch, Manual Cal.450 RARE WATCH

Winning bid: US $1,025.00 -35 bids

i remember it well from the time it was sold, pretty sure there was a thread discussing it, although not sure it went beyond refuting its claimed military credentials...
    It could also be a franken - the dial is definitely identical to the Weems A11 dial, and the movement serial falls within the plausible range for A11 Weems.
    I'd be curious what Zaf would have to say about it indeed.
    Many military watches have civilian look-alikes...

I think its not a franken as the articles i have read refer to around 1000 being produced by LeCoultre. Also the mix of staybrite/stainless and soft iron can not by any standards be classed as aesthetically pleasing to the eye, so probably not commercially aimed for civi use. This coupled with the Jaeger 450 high grade movement does seem to lend its self towards a watch designed for a specific purpose.

Yes, all watches are designed for a specific purpose.
    Major watch manufacturers in the 1930s-1940s like Longines were aiming their civilian watch sales at the wide US market where the economy and politics were not as much in shambles as in Europe, and where the advent of sports created a market for sturdy steel watches.
    That is how, for example, Longines created civilian watches with steel cases and screw back cases which were marketed for civilian pilots and navigators, sportsmen and even sportswomen, as evidenced by US market ads of the period.
    That is why Cyma created watches called "CymaWatersport" -also with a steel screw back cases, also targeted to the same market as evidenced in ads.
    And other manufactures like Omega and Zenith also created similar models /steel screw back cases.

Military uses are not the only ones needing sturdy watches, which is why a factual approach would caution against speculation, even though the bias towards infering military uses is of course understandable on a military watch forum.
    That is why it would be interesting to have the viewpoint of someone with a big picture view like Zaf. He does take queries on his website.

Best regards,
    S
    Last edited by Syrte; 03-13-2017 at 07:06.

What a strange looking watch! To me it seems that it started as a legit A11 USAAC watch (the equivalent of the MKVII); it then lost its bezel which was replaced with this strange " plated" (?) bezel cover and the hole on the side for the bezel locking crown was soldered and polished. I'd love to see the inside of the case without the movement (a tell tale sign is the space for the bezel crown counter screw that you can observe on the side of the movement right below the winding crown)... The markings on the cover were then polished off (remember the A11 military markings are not done very deep into the metal unlike the MK VII), and the watch started a whole new life. It could be worth it to see if it couldn't be reverted back to military, but the original markings would always be missing....

I've seen this model before. It was all the colour of the bezel. Was told it was an aluminium case.

Quote Originally Posted by foilguy View Post
    I've seen this model before. It was all the colour of the bezel. Was told it was an aluminium case.
    I've seen it several times before as well, the case is steel. First time I saw it I thought it was a homemade bezel, but then saw it many more times. So yes, it exists. Unclear it it ever had a military application.

The US watches tend to have fairly specific contracting requirements which usually find there way on the back on the watch. I've not seen this model with anything on the back.