Thread: M1 Garand in Iraq

Default M1 Garand in Iraq

Old pic showing a US soldier with M1 Garand, cool find... too bad he couldn't bring it home.

msa6712
    Z-7

It might end up back in the US, just show the CO and it might end up in the unit museum or something

That has late sights and early trigger guard. Could be a SA, Winchester, HRA, or International Harvester. They made 5.5M of them. Sent thousands of IH brand new rifles canned for storage to the Shah of Iran. My guess is that it is a sleeved or rebarreled in 7.62x51. Could also be a Beretta or Breda. I would bet that finding steel enbloc clips would be hard over there. A combat expendable for the US, a necessary unobtainable for the middle east. These rifles will not operate without those eight round clips. If you guys have a desire to own one, the CMP has 30K left and is selling them as we speak. They are an absolute blast to shoot and superbly accurate.

"the CMP has 30K left and is selling them as we speak"...

I purchased mine from CMP some time ago, didn't know they had 30K still to sell, hopefully they'll get the 1911s now that Trump is in office, but I wonder at what price point they'll be on offer for??? $1K ????
    msa6712
    Z-7

How do one buy something from CMP?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
    msa6712
    Z-7

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    There are a few requirements. There are also two stores, a north store and a south store. I've never been to either.

There are supposedly a few hundred thousand 1911/1911A1 that will be sold through CMP. They will probably have some very nice rebuilt 1911A1s now that Trump is in. The price is supposed to be $900 for a so,so example. The USS and few Singers that are in there will sell dear. In these things there will probably be some NOS examples for auction. Since the Army hasn't made or bought any regular 1911s since 1945 they are sure to be well used. I won't be buying any of these, these are way too expensive for mix master Ithacas, Remington Rands, and Colts.

WOW, a M1 would be neat to have. Thanks for the link but $830 and “Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line” is a bit much for me. I think at this point I would consider investing $830 in a “black rifle” instead of a M1.

Looks like they're running low on stock of completed rifles these days. I purchased mine several years ago "Service Grade", I think I paid ~$500...
    msa6712
    Z-7

I got a Service grade when the Greek rifles were returned. If I recall $395?? It turned out to be a 5.4 SA made in 1955 some of the last ones made. It was almost a new rifle. They were shipping out almost new rifles under "Rack Grade". It was ridiculous. The carbines were even more crazy. Guys were getting originals with perfect wood as Racks. They were $595 for Service grades. Go to any gun show and Garands are never less than $800 and carbines usually around $800-1000.

Pat: ARs are real bargains these days. My son bought a new Colt A4 for about $700. ARs are hard to beat. Cheap to shoot no kick accurate. The M1 has the advantage of being able to beat your enemy to death with it but it is an old design. If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'll take the AR every time. Just like the 1911.